Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wilderlands of Lords

Ramah - Thank you. I did try to make it my own, but its honestly my first ever use of patterns in photoshop...that was an eye opener and I know that as I progress in my cartography I will continue to create more of my own textures and techniques. I owe a lot to Pasis and the person who directed me to his tutorial (he is a member of this site but I don't know what his name is here)

Steel General - thanks for the rep! I just went and read what that is all about, digging it! I already have plans for my next map, a more recent campaign map that I would like to do some city details on.

Philipstephen - it does indeed appear that I am in trouble from the river police. I had a hard time showing the elevations from the east of Hethal Lake up to the Escarpment on my full color map. If you look at the ink drawing it shows contour line details. It's still not quite natural but then it is 100% imaginary. Not that that is an excuse for bad design, because I do remember when I originally drew the map and my keen interest in making things true to my understanding of geography.

Blog Entries

Great map. Just echo what everyone else has said really. Repped.

Redrobes - Thank you! It is really very nice getting such positive feedback from everyone. The more I see of the quality and level of art and cartography that is being done here it is really high praise indeed.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

More positive comments and praise coming from here.

Philipstephen already pointed out the weirdness regarding how the rivers flow together and join around the large island in the Lords Plains.

Aside from that, great, artistically pleasing work that takes a well-trod tutorial here and making the style your own.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Tom, that is an absolutely beautiful map. Notwithstanding all the lovely aspects of it (the forests especially) for me the stand out beauty are the sinuous rivers.

Lovely and repped.

Ravs

Karro - Thank You!

ravells - Thank you! I wish I could remember what I was thinking when I first drew those rivers. I am happy with them too, they are out of scale and have a large flaw but they work for me.

There is another large hand drawn map I have that I need to get scanned in. It has a swamp river system in it that I am really excited about rendering on the computer.

Well I couldn't leave it alone. I made a new ocean texture and fixed my river issues. One of the things I really like about how this map is constructed is how editable it is. Thanks everyone for your input, it has really helped guide me to a map I am even happier with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapwilderlands2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1,016.2 KB 
ID:	16940  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That reminds me, how exactly did you make that rift? it's bloody brilliant.

I'm suspecting a layer or three with the bevel direction reversed?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Beautiful Map! The F in Moyan Forest doesn't seem to match all the rest of your caps, though.

coyotemax - yes its the same as the mountains with bevel reversed. but I also really hardened up the edges so that the rift would be a sharp gouge. Also made the color browner and shading darker.

Giddle - thank you! Hey good eye there..thats about the 5th time I have saved this map out and I never caught that typo!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast