Thread: Aug/Sep Lite Entry - A Wondrous Treasure _or_ The King's Gift

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Aug/Sep Lite Entry - A Wondrous Treasure _or_ The King's Gift

M'kay, well, there's nothing like doing things at the last minute, it's what I'm good at, lazy disorganised so-and-so that I am. This very well might not get finished on time, what with me moving and my Mum flying out to help me on Friday, but I like a challenge!

The Concept:

There was once a King who ruled for many years over a fair and bounteous land. His rule was just and the people loved him. One evening, he sat in the tallest tower of his palace, which was sited on a hill above the principle city. He looked North over crystal seas; he looked South towards tall mountains; he looked East towards fertile farms; he looked West towards dense forests. He marvelled at the beauty of his realm, but was almost instantly saddened upon realising that only he could see it in this manner; the common people wandered blindly through the land, knowing neither it nor their place within it. Calling the finest craftsmen to him, he commanded them to create a wondrous treasure, a map fashioned from the finest and most precious materials available. It would be sited in the largest public courtyard for all to behold and marvel at, the King's gift to his people so that they would always know where they were.

The Execution:

For my sins, I'm doing this in POVray. I have created an initial isosurface object I'm pretty happy with, and I've set textures for the land, sea and sky (see attached). I'm going to build a 'box' to contain the whole thing - it will (hopefully) be decorated and have some manner of compass rose and legend on it. For everything else - ack! I'm going to have to learn to use the trace function properly, or this could be epic fail. The idea is to pick out features by using gems, precious metals etc. Placing cities and towns shouldn't be too hard (I have some gem-type objects already made up from other projects), but roads, rivers and forests are giving me nightmares, even without the possibility of offending the River Police! Obviously, it all needs to be set on something more interesting than a flat grey plane too, but that's the _least_ of my concerns.

So.... when are the men in white coats arriving?

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_01.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	16840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_02.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	16841  
    Last edited by Amazon_warrior; 09-15-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Correcting title