Thread: Terragen/Gimp Combo regional/world maps ?

Guild Novice

Post Terragen/Gimp Combo regional/world maps ?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here in the guild has used programs like The Gimp and Terragen together to make isometric maps. If so, could anyone tell me if there are any tutorials here or on other sites that deal with mapmaking combining these programs, or programs similar to them? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

I didn't use GIMP. Instead, I used a combination of Wilbur and PSP (an older version) to generate my maps for the latest Lite Challenge (can be seen here : http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6823 ). I haven't written a tutorial yet, but the images shown were rendered by Terragen (version 0.9.43) with a little tweaking of the Surface Map and using SOPack. I'll be working on a "tutorial" shortly, which is to say, as soon as I get some time, perhaps this weekend.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I use the two together for my world maps... But I'm kinda lazy... I let terragen get me a basic shape of continents I like, then take that and use it with RobA's regional Gimp tutorial and Ascension's Atlas tutorial for photoshop (converting lots of this to Gimp is rough... but not impossible.)

I suppose I could put something together based on that process.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Guild Novice

@Greason: Hey! Thats some neat stuff! Thats kind of what Im shooting for is a split between handrawn and photorealism, and I was thinking isometric because it would match alot of what I do have hand drawn already (which btw is just one continent on about 8 sheets of 22x28 posterboard. Yep, I know, its insane).

@Noble: Yea, lemme know if you ever do write anything up. Id definately be interested. And, yes I was kind of thinking along the same lines..still utilizing a bulk of RobAs tutorials along with terragen.

Thanks for the comments guys, it helps and is food for thought!