Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Heraldry

Post More Heraldry

An online Heraldry generator, "Create-a-shield":

http://www.karlwilcox.com/?page=shield

An example pasted into the blazon field:

Gules, on a bend or between two escallops argent a Cornish chough proper between as many cinquefoils azure; and on a chief of the second a rose of the first seeded gold and barbed vert between two fleur-de-lis of the field: for Petre
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shield.png 
Views:	1326 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	16855

(It also has a nifty "random" button)

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat find, thanks for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Ah, heraldric language!

Ah, heraldric language, I used to know some from my days in the Society for Creative Anachronism (23 years ago)... lets see, my heraldric device was...

Vert, a semee of acorns clipped and leaved proper (which means, green background, an alternating pattern of acorns attached to a small branch with two leaves in true to life colors)

By memory: Gules = red, Azure = blue, Orr = gold, Negro = black, Vert = green, Argent = white, (I forget what brown is... its been too long, sanguine I think.)

Strangely, I learned my Heraldry from an Encylopedia Harnica issue - it was more detailed than what is taught by the SCA.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I thought Argent was silver?

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Perhaps, but...

Perhaps really is supposed to be silver, however, back in the day when shields were actually painted and these rules put in place, Argent was white - nobody had silver paint during the medieval period. Perhaps white was as close to silver as one could get, at the time.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, GP, that's the way it was. Argent meant silver, but was represented in heraldry by the color white. Additionally, Or meant gold, but was represented by the color yellow.

This is pretty cool... but I can't quite create my own family shield with it ... which is:

Sable [Black], a chevron argent between three [spearheads, though I don't know what the proper heraldic term for them is] of the same, embruled.

It doesn't seem to recognize embruled at all, which is of lesser concern, but also doesn't have spearheads as an accepted charge. Oh well.

...It's too bad... because I'd been meaning to create an image of my chield to use as an avatar here for a while, but not had time. This could've made that easier...

[Edit... well... I just found out that spearheads are called "pheons"... and this thing does indeed have pheons, though it still doesn't understand embruled, but I can do that in inkscape or something if need be... cool...]
    Last edited by Karro; 09-17-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

My bad... I mispelled a certain heraldic term. No such thing as embruled. It appears I meant embrued or, alternately, imbrued; meaning stained or dripping with blood.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    My bad... I mispelled a certain heraldic term. No such thing as embruled. It appears I meant embrued or, alternately, imbrued; meaning stained or dripping with blood.
    So were you able to make your family crest then?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    So were you able to make your family crest then?
    Not quite, but close enough. It still can't do "embrued/imbrued", and in every depiction I've seen the spearheads are pointing up, not down, but this is pretty close. It's a pretty simple shield design, after all.

Alternately, it can't really handle the other blazon I've found associated with my family name (and I'm not really sure which blazon my family line actually falls under; I assume the two blazons are for two different branches of the family), that being: "azure, a fess Or between three leopards faces jessant-de-lis of the same" (the last meaning three leopards faces swallowing fleur-de-lis).
    Last edited by Karro; 09-18-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast