Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conceptualizing fantasy maps...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Middle Earth was based on our real earth in a mythical earlier time, but the undying lands kinda throws the whole 'is it a globe' thing into doubt (for me). To have them both displayed as continents on one map is what put the doubt in my mind.
    I refer the honorable gentleman to the response given (by my fairly loonie Tolkien expert me-dem-mer) Carl... See post #10+
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1239

I'll ask him to comment more if you think it would help. I duck the issue cos I don't know anything about it. I am a me-dem Tolkien fraud !

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Mythologically, as I understand it, Middle Earth was at one time understood to be a flat world but, through the magic of magic, it was transformed into a round world following the second age, when the Undying lands were removed from the world (in a stricly physical sense), which is what prevents all but the elves (who apparently can sail on metaphysical seas) from reaching them.

I'm not 100% sure on that, though, but it's something I've read about recently.

Anyways... I think it's been covered here, you can have the edges of your world be due to any number of things. The ocean plunging away into a bottomless abyss is but one of many fun ways to create your world. Go with whatever strikes your fancy!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Mythologically, as I understand it, Middle Earth was at one time understood to be a flat world but, through the magic of magic, it was transformed into a round world following the second age, when the Undying lands were removed from the world (in a stricly physical sense), which is what prevents all but the elves (who apparently can sail on metaphysical seas) from reaching them.
    Hehe. That sounds like complete bobbins.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12