Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint.net anyone?

Post Paint.net anyone?

Although I doubt it would be good for mapping, possibly but I do not really know. I was wondering if anyone here KNOWS anything about paint.net as a program..

I would love to find you all links, but I am extremely tired and need sleep, I merely posted this as a last thought of the morning before I got my power nap in. (I work nights.)

EDIT: The topic name should be Paint.net, that just shows how tired I am.
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

I've used paint.net a few times, but I get frustrated with it too quickly for it to be of any use. This is probably because I've used Photoshop and Gimp (Also free and does what you need ) before, and the way paint.net handles layers and selections is... different.

I won't put the program down, and I do know quite a few that use it (though not for mapping), it's just not for me.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

There are a few here who use PdN for mapping (PeaceHeather for one - do a member search) and have gotten some nice results. There are even a few tuts for it. That been said, most ppl here use either Gimp, Photoshop or the CC3 suite, so most of our tuts are for these progs. I have found that it it not neccessarily the prog that gets the results, rather your ability to use it that makes things look good. Gimp and Photoshop use simular methods (function names might be different and such), and I have heard that PdN can do simular stuff but the methods are not so familiar. If you are familiar with PdN, I would suggest looking at some of the tuts and figure out how PdN handles the methods mentioned for the other progs.

And Welcome to the guild
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDay View Post
    Although I doubt it would be good for mapping, possibly but I do not really know. I was wondering if anyone here KNOWS anything about paint.net as a program.
    We use Paint.net in combination with Fractal Mapper 8 to make raster symbols (FM8 and CC3 jargon) or objects (Dundjinni jargon). We should have a tutorial (PDF) finished before year's end.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks guys, this is the exact input I wanted from this! So helpful =D!
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

I use it when i need something quick and not so complicated, like geometrical objets and the like.

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    There are a few here who use PdN for mapping (PeaceHeather for one - do a member search) and have gotten some nice results. There are even a few tuts for it. [...] And Welcome to the guild
    Aww shucks - it's been forever since I've been on the forums and someone still remembers me?
    I use PDN pretty much exclusively. GIMP didn't make sense to me, and while the bias on the forums leans pretty heavily toward it, I'm content where I am - just stubborn, I guess. Most of the tutorials can be adapted to PDN without too much struggle; the program itself admits that it doesn't have much "out of the box" but it does support user-generated tools and such, and once those are downloaded they are great.

I won't get into a "whose is better" argument about the different programs out there, because I don't use them and I know everyone has different tastes. Korash is dead on about something else - more than anything, it seems to be less about what program you're using and more about your comfort level with that program, that gets the result you're after. But Paint.NET works just fine for me, and I plan to ocntinue to translate all these pesky GIMP tutorials over into PDN to get pretty much the same results.

Cheers!
    Heather

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Lo there Peace

'course I remember you. You were the one that showed me the error of my ways concerning PdN. It was one of the two progs suggested to me when I first asked ppl about a prog to make maps. I downloaded it (not knowing about the add-ons) and found that some features that I expected were not there so dumped it and went to the next suggestion (Gimp), You showed me that maybe I should have kept it for a bit longer. Things like that stick. Not so much other stuff....(ask my wife....)

Anyhoot...So when are you gonna post some more of those translations......?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Member

I wasn't sure there would be a demand for translated tutorials, but if people want them I'll be happy to give it a shot. I'm currently relearning the program's capabilities myself, as I put mapping down for awhile and pursued other projects. The newest round of plugins for PDN are also giving me something to chew on, as some are completely new and I still need to figure out their capabilities, while others are extensions/improvements of plugins I already have. *shrug*

But yeah, if people are interested I suppose I could put something together again.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceHeather View Post
    Aww shucks - it's been forever since I've been on the forums and someone still remembers me?
    I use PDN pretty much exclusively. GIMP didn't make sense to me, and while the bias on the forums leans pretty heavily toward it, I'm content where I am - just stubborn, I guess. Most of the tutorials can be adapted to PDN without too much struggle; the program itself admits that it doesn't have much "out of the box" but it does support user-generated tools and such, and once those are downloaded they are great.

I won't get into a "whose is better" argument about the different programs out there, because I don't use them and I know everyone has different tastes. Korash is dead on about something else - more than anything, it seems to be less about what program you're using and more about your comfort level with that program, that gets the result you're after. But Paint.NET works just fine for me, and I plan to ocntinue to translate all these pesky GIMP tutorials over into PDN to get pretty much the same results.

Cheers!
    Heather
    Oh cool, I'm in pretty much the exact same boat with PDN!

You can definitely make maps on par with those made in Photoshop/GIMP with it. Occasionally, there will be something you can't find a way to exactly replicate, but usually there's either a plugin you can download to give you whatever you need or you can make up a workaround without too much extra work.

Maybe I ought to do a PDN tutorial of my style... (not that it's all that unique, except in the specifics of making things.)
    Last edited by euio; 02-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast