Thread: Tiling non-square items in Gimp.

Help Tiling non-square items in Gimp.

I've got a map that I'm working on, and it's gotten to the point where I need to add trees. The problem is not that I don't have a good tree, it's that I can't figure out how to get Gimp to overlap them in the area I want them. The area's huge, so any help in this regards would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Guild Apprentice

i'll try to answer this although i'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

for any tile based project, when you have a large area to fill with tress or mountains, its best to start at the top right of the area and work to the left and down.

it will also help to use more than one layer and the un-do feature will be your friend.

Info

I'm not sure what you're asking for either, but this may or may not help. I'm not sure if Gimp supports this, but in vector apps (like illustrator or drawplus) you can crop shapes within other shapes. So if you make say a square with lots of contents in it, you can crop the shape to an irregular area. You may need to use inkscape (if it supports cropping / clipping) to do this and import into Gimp. Here is an example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial.pdf  

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking for either, but this may or may not help. I'm not sure if Gimp supports this, but in vector apps (like illustrator or drawplus) you can crop shapes within other shapes. So if you make say a square with lots of contents in it, you can crop the shape to an irregular area. You may need to use inkscape (if it supports cropping / clipping) to do this and import into Gimp. Here is an example:
    you can do this in gimp in the following way:

create a new layer.

use the path tool or laso tool to select an area. leave it selected

move back to the original layer.

invert the selection and cut.

Thanks much for the help, even if I wasn't being clear.

I had made a tree. A little tree icon, if you will. I wanted to put them in really thick, so that they'd overlap. But that has to be done right otherwise it looks really, really bad. And I was wondering if there was a faster way to lay out copies of it than having to keep hitting ctrl+v.

There was, it's called a brush, and I felt like a moron.

I decided to skip it, and I found another method (that I like better). Thanks for your help all the same.

Guild Apprentice

oh, i thought you were using a brush. that's what i based my first reply on.

you should make several images with 1, 2 and 4 or more trees in them. the trees should be shaded slightly differently. then make brushes from them. images with more trees will make things go faster. interspace with images with less trees to get a better look.

so are you using a brush or did you figure something else out? if so will you share that?
    Last edited by Istarlome; 07-29-2007 at 08:21 PM.

I opted against the brush, using a forest tutorial that I found here;

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=174110