Thread: Making an Atlas Need Some Advice

Help Making an Atlas Need Some Advice

Hi

I'm making an Atlas of fantasy maps and I would like to do them in the style of HandsomeRob's tutorial.

OK I have Photoshop cs2, Illustrator cs2, Gimp, and can get Inkscape at any time if I need to (Hell it's free).

Now I'm using FTPro to create maps. is there any technique I can use to smooth out the FT's fractal spaghetti and make it look more like a modern Atlas style map?

Another question is about using real world maps and modifying them to my specifications to place in my maps. This is if I can't get the FT stuff to work out for me. Any thing I need to know or some tutorials to point me towards.

EDIT: Sorry that was a dumb question. Just import them into photoshop and do as Ye will.

One of my drawbacks is I don't have the money to get those really nice 3d programs. One I did look at was WorldMachine. That is one strange program. Anyone here ever use it and is it worth it to figure out?

Thanks all !!!!! Love this place. I have learned a lot in the time I'v been here!
    Last edited by Nexis; 09-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Guild Novice
    London, UK. Formally Durban, South Africa.

If you're using FT, then get Wilbur (it's free). I normally setup my maps in FT and export as a Special MDR File (*.mdr) for Wilbur to play with. Wilbur's got great options for erosion, bump map and slope map exporting, quite a few must haves. I'm still learning the program but it's pretty good for the price

Have you seen http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html as an example of some FT techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavar View Post
    If you're using FT, then get Wilbur (it's free). I normally setup my maps in FT and export as a Special MDR File (*.mdr) for Wilbur to play with. Wilbur's got great options for erosion, bump map and slope map exporting, quite a few must haves. I'm still learning the program but it's pretty good for the price
    Thanks I'll check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Have you seen http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html as an example of some FT techniques?
    Thanks! Yes that's a good one.

Post Side note...

Hey, Nexis - did you ever find the 3.5 books you were looking for, plus have you got Pathfinder, yet?

One more thing, just a note for you Waldronate who just posted a link for you is the primary developer for both FTPro and Wilbur, he can be lots of help for you, just thought you ought to know.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Hey, Nexis - did you ever find the 3.5 books you were looking for, plus have you got Pathfinder, yet?

One more thing, just a note for you Waldronate who just posted a link for you is the primary developer for both FTPro and Wilbur, he can be lots of help for you, just thought you ought to know.

GP
    Yep found the 3.5 books. Don't like em so I switched to GURPS 4th

Looking over Wilbur now and I am impressed at what it can do!

Post No problem

No problem, Nexis, 3.5 ain't for everybody - GURPS is a good system, however, good gaming!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations