Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parchment & Stain Tutorial [Photoshop]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Tutorial Parchment & Stain Tutorial [Photoshop]

So, I was going to make a long post on how to get the effects of a stain, then I found this:

Here is a link to a great tutorial on how to make a poster in photoshop. In the first part, there is a section on how to create a stain: The rest details a nice parchment look.

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut024.htm

Now, you can follow the same steps with a filled selection in photoshop. Basically, in the end, if you follow the dodge/burn tactic, you will get what you need.

Sandeman
    Last edited by ravells; 09-25-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

If you have a picture of a stain that you want, what you can also do is apply it to your image in it's own layer with a bg of white... using ctrl+alt+g to clip it to the layer below, then use the blending mode HARD LIGHT or PIN light. Play with the opacity, and you will get a stain. Add a few effects like gradients, glows and play with their blending styles...

Here is an example:

Sandeman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stain_example.png 
Views:	2151 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	552  
    Last edited by kalmarjan; 07-24-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Wow! Yes, thank you very much.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Info

I've had really good luck with creating layers set to color burn and using really light pastels as my burn color...thats a great way to make stains.

For example...very light pink set to color burn will create bloodstains. Very light tan will create like coffee stains or such...you can always take whatever shape your stain is and set it to color burn, if its not a light pastel color it will probably appear black, then run image->adjustments->Hue/Saturation and lighten it up and desaturate it a bit til you get a really good stained look. I've not tried this on a parchment background but it works wonders on stone backgrounds...color burn to me is synonymous with dried stain.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Map Parchment Map on Inn Table

I followed the tutorial you discovered and shared with us and I was pleased with the knowledge gained and the end result as well. I now can make much more interesting player handouts. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchment-Map-on-Inn-Table.jpg 
Views:	1685 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	571  
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Blog Entries

My first piece of work on this forum was to go through this tutorial. You might say I learned a lot. I actually made a wanted poster of my wife and, by the end of the tutorial, I was being a bit cowboy myself. After her delight over the wanted poster, went back in and deleted all of the portrait and text stuff, and spent some time perfecting the parchment.

I present it here to you as an opportunity to point out problems in my techniques and any oversights that might be related to my colorblindness. If it is okay, all are welcome to use it for whatever purpose they wish.

I apologize as I have not learned yet how to imbed a picture. I'll go learn that now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parchment1.1.psd  

Blog Entries

Again, sorry for my earlier ignorance. Here is the image plain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchment1.png 
Views:	809 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	13787

and peanut butter...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchment on a table.png 
Views:	1277 
Size:	779.5 KB 
ID:	13788

in honor of Fister's idea.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No critiques from me, I think it looks good and I even snagged the psd
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

This looks great!
    I just tried this tutorial in the Gimp, but being a noob with the program I'm struggling finding an equivalent of these two Photoshop tools:
    Clip to layer
    Filter / Brush Strokes / Spatter

Any of the Gimp gurus here who know how to create something similar to the spatter filter? (I tried to google, but found nothing worthwhile regarding spatter)
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast