0 0%
  • A Wonderous Treasure or the King's Gift - by Amazon_warrior

2 8.00%
  • City of Gold - by Jykke

6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** August / September Lite Challenge - Gold ***

All excellent entries, but I had to go with Coyotemax in the end.

I didn't have time or inspiration to enter this month, but even if I had I would have been vying for last place (and probably got it). The standards of the Lite Challenge are rising so fast that we'll need a Lite Lite Challenge soon.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I voted for Jykke's sci-fi map - I liked the grittiness and the gold buildings. Coyotemax's was awesome too - love the leather texture.

I'd like to thank everyone who commented on my map - it's much appreciated. Next time, I'll try to have a bit more time and a few more WIP shots! lol

(PS: I'm female. )

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great entries everyone!

My reasons are pretty much echoes of what others have written, but I think there are a couple things here and there I can add. I really like the mountains raised up to and over the border in places on Amazon_warrior's map, that's a nice touch. Jykke's map is extremely well done; you can totally imagine it being on the wall of a station that's seen hard times. I love the idea Avulsion had; I just wish there was more map to it

In the end I had to go with CoyoteMax, for a very well executed map with a ton of gold on it I love the way everything matches the same style without it feeling overdone. Nice job!

Pufff, i can't believe this, great maps, all of them, the Mining Colony was one of my favorites, the details, the diferent perspectives of the city, but, the sunken ship is really wonderful too, the story behind it is great, oh God, i would wish those two were the only ones, but, then it comes this great piece of art, how in hell did you make those leather parchments?, just great Coyotemax.

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

I'll be bold/prideful and say I like my idea the most, but it kinda fails for this challenge as it isn't much of a map...

Amazon's followed the theme really well. It looks a lot like what I imagine in my mind's eye what I would have (attempted to have) created if I had done a more mappy map.

Coyote's map is... a work of art. How the heck did you do it?! I obviously need to read a bunch of good tutorials on this forum and increase my skill. Seriously, I would tell you to just stick with the Normal Challenge, but then we would all miss out on your awesome work displayed in the Lite Challenge. Keep at it! I suspect you will win a Normal Challenge before you win 3 Lites though

I liked where Greason was going. Family does come first though. I look forward to some awesome maps in future challenges!

Jykke has an awesome map with great details. However, something that always bothered me was that all the rectangular parts look flat. IMO, they should cast more shadows as if they were sticking out of the sign, or into the sign. Some sort of "relief" would really take it to the next level. Call me crazy, I guess.

Explaining in words in a post is somehow way easier than actually voting...

I apologize for the triple post...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Avulsions map is really unique and such a good idea. I would have liked to have voted that way but it does not have much gold in it. I think we needed more than the word. That would suit a different challenge tho.
    Thanks. The golden border on the page is a subliminal message that perhaps caught a few of you into thinking the entry had more gold

FWIW Avulsion, yours was the second equal choice with Coyote's for me. It was a clean and beautiful concept, I loved the way it looked like a section of a page. The context that a map is presented in (IMHO) is almost as important as the map. I voted for Jykke's because of the context too...it just looked like the image you might see on the wall of a far future goldrush town, and the textures just sold it to me.

So it's been about 5 days of voting. Shall we close this poll, award the clear winner, and start the next exciting month of Sep/Oct Lite Challenge?!?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast