Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** August / September Lite Challenge - Gold ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post *** August / September Lite Challenge - Gold ***

VOTE FOR 1 (ONE)

view the thumbnails: August / September Thumbnails

Thank you to all the participants for their efforts and entries. Let the voting begin!

Summary of the rules for this month's challenge:

The challenge is to draw a map heavily influenced by the "GOLD" theme. Any map can be entered. For your inspiration, some of the possibilities:

- Regional map depicting GOLD mines in a region.
    - Treasure map to the famous city of GOLD.
    - Map to a sunken ship filled with GOLD.
    - Pirate map leading to chests of GOLD.
    - Map of a town which is famous for mining GOLD.
    - Map of a temple filled with GOLDEN statues.
    - Map of a structure containing GOLD (bank, merchant, etc).
    - Map of a GOLD mine.
    - Map of a dungeon with a large treasure chamber filled with GOLD.
    etc, etc.

Your map must include:

- Anything goes. As long there's a strong and physical link with GOLD. The more shiny stuff we see, the better. So don't create a pirate map, mark the chest filled with GOLD with an X and leave it at that. No, depict the treasure as well. Or put some GOLD coins on the maps as props. Work it into your border. Your map should be dripping GOLD and still look elegant!

Good Voting everyone and don't forget to rep the work you liked!

I like all entries. Very good job on those maps.

I admit I didn't choose Greason Wolfe's because I was really looking forward to what he would do with it, and unfortunately he just didn't find the time to do it.

Amazon_warrior's and Avulsion's entries were both really good, out of the two I probably would have picked Amazon_warrior's. While I liked the presentation of Avulsion's more than the other map, Amazon_warrior's was a bit more mappy and just a little more golden. Challenge topic and all.

That leaves me with Coyotemax and Jykke. Both exellent maps. Coyotemax's is more mappy for sure, but Jykke's shows a lot more about the gold and is really nice, too (even if I think he botched that last minute update ).

They are both flawlessly executed. Who should I vote for?
    In the end, I gave my vote to Jykke.
    Sorry, Coyotemax. I love your maps.
    I had to make a tough decision for this one.
    Don't be mad at me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well another tough vote, and some new entrants as well - always a good thing.

After thinking about it for a bit, I had to give my vote to Coyotemax. It was the one that 'jumped out and grabbed me'.

Good luck to all the entrants.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Tear: That's fine. it was a tough decision for me too

As much as I'd like to vote for myself (hah) that doesn't feel right

I too am sorry to see Greason's map unfinished Amazon_warrior's map was nice and fit the theme, but I didn't feel a personal connection to it (I think because I've become used to following WIPs over time, and seeing the development leaves more of an impact on me - this one was a late entry and I didn't really get the time to get to know it). Avulsions was great and I loved, but it wasn't as maplike once Jykke put in the "You Are Here". For me, that was the clincher

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Coyote made great early progress and I thought it would be hard to beat. Jykkes map is a great piece of art and certainly has plenty of gold in it. You can almost see that in some console game. Greasons map was promising too but lacked gold in the end tho I think great strides were made. Avulsions map is really unique and such a good idea. I would have liked to have voted that way but it does not have much gold in it. I think we needed more than the word. That would suit a different challenge tho. A late entry by Amazon showed promise and I think would have been better with more time to sink into it.

But for me I think Coyotes map was a superb execution. Up close it looks nearly real and its definitely a mining map with plenty of gold and a gold border so I went with it.

I apologize for the triple post...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Avulsions map is really unique and such a good idea. I would have liked to have voted that way but it does not have much gold in it. I think we needed more than the word. That would suit a different challenge tho.
    Thanks. The golden border on the page is a subliminal message that perhaps caught a few of you into thinking the entry had more gold

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I had to vote of Amazons. The map itself is gold

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My vote went to Avulsion for the simple fact that it is cute and fun although not really mappy per se. CM has the mappiest map and is exquisitely perfect...he needs to be teaching us Jykke's is more video game art. GW has grand visions but never gets halfway through them, though I might steal how he does ISO AW has some interesting ideas going on with his and I know he was rushed. So my vote doesn't follow the criteria...shoot me I'd like to see more of what he can do and I'm in a weird/abstracted mood. If I were following the criteria then I'd vote CM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My vote goes to Coyotemax as it follows the gold theme nicely

All the entries are very nicely done I particularly like how Amazon's appears to be made from a gold nugget, and Jykke's game screen is quite spectacular. However I believe Coyotemax's map has been executed most cleverly and is most in accordance with the criteria, and I am really loving the stitching and the gold inlays. So my vote goes to Coyotemax!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast