Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forest texture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post forest texture

Hi everyone!

I wanted to contribute this forest texture I just finished. It tiles so it can be fed right whatever tool you use to paint patterns. It is rather large but you can always scale down cleaner than you can scale up. Please enjoy

I actually created this texture in 3D studio and did additional filtering and all the tiling work in photoshop CS3.

I highly recommend poking holes in it, there is black that can be filtered to transparency. The size of the trees is fairly uniform so you can make individual trees into brushes to detail the forest edges.

I am working on an isometric view of forest texture as well. I will share that when I have it in the same state that this is in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_overhead.jpg 
Views:	3161 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	16908  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

sweet! I may have to give this a try soon

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks for posting...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

coyotemax - Welcome. One thing I did find when working with it is that I got it a little too dark and the black areas didn't clip out too cleanly by just using color thresholds. It needs to be manually poked out.

ravells - Thank you...hey its the thought that counts! Yes it tiles, I hate seams and strong pattern repeats.

Steel General - wecome! Glad to contribute.

And speaking of contributing, here is the isometric forest texture. It tiles and is more seperated from the background black for easier hole poking. Also I am including some individual trees for breaking up the edges nicely. This texture will not work in all cases, well it should but it is going to take a lot of massaging in places especially on the top edge where those single trees will have to be judiciously used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_isometric.jpg 
Views:	4044 
Size:	654.7 KB 
ID:	16924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest_edge.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	16925  

Ravells - thanks! you read my mind. It is what I am going to work on next. Then I need to work on a dead tree forest texture.

More suggestions are welcome

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Cardin View Post
    Ravells - thanks! you read my mind. It is what I am going to work on next. Then I need to work on a dead tree forest texture.

More suggestions are welcome
    Looking forward to seeing a tileable dead tree forest texture. I can only begin to imagine how hard that will be.

Great stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Great!! Have some Rep XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast