Thread: GIMP and languages

Post GIMP and languages

I have a GIMP problem for which I've been able to find no solution. Our computers use German language versions of Windows XP and Vista. GIMP installers are too smart for us. Although we get an English setup dialog, the German version of GIMP always is installed automatically. That's great for most people probably, but lousy for us if we want to do English language tutorials with English language screen shots. Does anyone have any idea how I can install GIMP in English under German Windows?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I bet you could trick it by temporarily changing your Regional and Language settings in the Windows control panel.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hmm. It's been a while since I installed GIMP... but I thought I recalled there was a language drop-down as the first option upon initiating installation. Considering the issue you're having either I must be wrong, or it must not have mattered.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Info Environment Variables

Environment variables control the language settings from whichever terminal it is launched it will enhirit the LC_MESSAGES value for whichever language you wish, so set LC_MESSAGES=de and launch gimp in the same console window and vwalla (terrible french I know) and you have germen text. en is english if you need to know, also there is a complete list under the share\locale folder.

PS: one more reason to switch to Unix Alike Systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Hmm. It's been a while since I installed GIMP... but I thought I recalled there was a language drop-down as the first option upon initiating installation. Considering the issue you're having either I must be wrong, or it must not have mattered.
    I got none with my installer for version 2.6.7.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by BrockyL View Post
    Environment variables

<SNIP>

there is a complete list under the share\locale folder.
    I assume you're referring to Windows environment variables. I need most of my software to function trouble free in German, so this doesn't seem to be a workable solution for me, if I'm understanding you correctly.

As for the complete list under the share/locale folder ... It would be good to get a better pointer where this folder is. I certainly can't find anything of the sort on my system. I'm a programmer, and all system files are visible on my system, so I do know most of the usual places where such things would be, but I haven't been able to find anything.

GIMP does have a local user folder called ENV, but it's empty on my machine.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Here we are ... I found this on the gimp installation faq page (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/faq.html)

"If you would just like GIMP to be in English, the easiest way to achieve this is is to uninstall it, then run the installer again, choose Customized setup, and uncheck Translations on the Components page. Without translations, GIMP will always appear in English."

Just give it a try by Openning a command terminal and type "set LC_MESSAGES=en_CA" ( this will be a local environment variable, wont disturb functionallity of other programs ) and then "gimp-2.0.exe" , in the same terminal and you will have whatever strings are present in <your gimp folder>/share/locale/en_CA/LC_MESSAGE associated with there respective binary values of psudotyped origin(due to compilation) ie: a Different language for gimps ascii habitat. and respectively "set LC_MESSAGES=de" .

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Here we are ... I found this on the gimp installation faq page (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/faq.html)

"If you would just like GIMP to be in English, the easiest way to achieve this is is to uninstall it, then run the installer again, choose Customized setup, and uncheck Translations on the Components page. Without translations, GIMP will always appear in English."
    Thanks! That did it best.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project