Thread: The Wonderful Ending Touch

Question The Wonderful Ending Touch

I mean... What do you do to maps once they are finished? or more specifically, What effects do you aply on them?

For example: Sharpen, Blur, Contrast, etc.

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Usually the last thing I do is a frame (if I decide to use one). I rarely put 1 overall effect on the entire map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

With sharpening, as with photography it depends on whether you're sharpening for print or displaying on the web etc etc.

With sattelite type maps I tend to:

1. Overlay/multiply (low opacity) on top of the map a colour layer (usually a parchmenty type textured one) which unites all the colours below it.

2. Sometimes use a curves adjustment layer to bring out bits I want - but rarely because rather than with a photograph, you tend to have the colours / contrast etc you want as you draw the map.

I find I'm fighting to keep details crisp. Global sharpening usually creates as many problems as it fixes.

Lettering, frame, graticule, compass, basically an information layer.

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd