Here's a recent Problem I ran into, I am always on the go and carry my laptop to take advantage of the inspirational moments I have (occasionally). Recently My Cdrom was loose so I unscrewed my case and tightened the cdrom down. When closing my case I screwed down part of the mouse ribbon cable severing one strip of copper. My God you say. well I am talking to you now and using gimp-2.6.3 without any aids besides the keyboard.
But My Productivity is limited to coordinate based brushing and simple arithematischer I remember from High School.

Now This is where I get into Gimp, Its Got that Script Fu Console which implements a Full Fledged Database of Functions and Pointers Linked to the Application. I am so far able to work with layers, Draw simple* objects and Select Things By Color. I Just Wish I could use the scripting language to have more decisions on what I am creating. ie: Bezier Curves and Geometry Calculation. As of yet I am stuck with the lowsy Plugins and not advancing very far.