Thread: GIMP Tutorials

Help GIMP Tutorials

Hey guys...a favour or question for all you guru's.

I've been using CC3 for a while now with maps...but the results have always seemed a little...blah when compared to a number of maps I've seen made with GIMP or Photoshop...

Could someone point me towards tutorials on how to make and create decent looking maps in GIMP? (I don't have Photoshop, or the $$ for it) Any help would be awesome I'm fairly "stupid" when it comes to some of these drawing applications...so a fairly idiot proof guide would be best.

Thanks for your time all!

V

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I can't think of any basic mapmapking tutorials for Gimp off the top of my head. It's probably best to do a hunt for some basic (general) gimp tutorials first just to get used to the programme, There's a collection of the 'official' tutorials here:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

They will probably help you get a basic grasp of the tool. As for mapmaking tutorials, what kind of map are you looking to make? If you have an example, I can try to give you a step by step guide.

Guild Apprentice

this is certainly something that's in progress. not much out there. this site is helping the cause.

several people have posted here and there are several threads below this one. many times you can figure out how to do something in gimp by looking at a ps tut, so don't rule that out.

I've started to upload my own tutorials - which are using a combination of GIMP and Inkscape - to the Art Tutorials Wiki, although I admittedly haven't finished doing so yet.

Apart from that, it should be fairly easy to replicate Photoshop tutorials in GIMP.