Thread: Not Just A Map.

Post Not Just A Map.

Well, alot of the maps here are so wonderful, vast regions to tiny enclosed dungeons. Whole remakes of the world as we know it in a post apocalyptic world.

But, what about the phase AFTER the map, what about the setting, the history, the lore. I looked about and saw no writers corner and just cried.

I guess what I am saying is what are your thoughts on the importance of an explanation for the maps you create?
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Guild Member

I usually explain the setting of the maps I make. However, I feel that if someone else wants to use my maps, they probably use their own settings anyway. I usually use my own settings when using the maps of others. So I don't think it is overly important. You can always ask the creator of the map if you need more info.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are tons of people here who are here mostly for the sole purpose of learning how to make a map for a story that they are writing...I'd guess at least a third of the membership. We CL's have been talking about all sorts of upgrades and changes to come in the coming months; everything from basic website colors to whole new areas and techy stuff that I can't explain. A writer's area is one of those things - it would be it's own section like dungeon maps, general discussion, or reference material.

On the other hand, you can always include as much information as you want to about your map and any stories that might accompany it...many people do. Look at Toff, for example...he pretty much has one thread going about a story that he is writing and he puts out a pdf every few months. Of course he's mapping the solar system so he has lots of maps, too. You can do something like that if you want...make your own world, do up some maps, and write a ton of stories for it.

If kinda bugs me that we get all of these people wanting to make maps for their stories...we get to see the maps but rarely get to read the stories. Whether the story ever gets written is another matter, I guess, but we'd all like to, at least, read the outline or basic premise as long as the author is open to feedback. Which is a whole other matter as well...some people just aren't open to the idea of others editing a world that they hold very close to their chest (it's their world and they don't want anyone tampering with it cuz it messes up their utopian escape). Nothing wrong with that but it's not good, per se, from a writing standpoint. Someone like me could use some editing because I tend toward a stream-of-consciousness writing style, like here
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

I am thinking of asking about using some of the maps I found here for a story in the works. Mainly because to me it is much more interesting to explore a map together with the story So a writer's corner would be very welcome, as it would give a chance to show what I do with the maps.

If you click up at the top where it says Fantaseum Alliance you will get links to the Campaign Builders Guild and PlotStorming that you may wish to check out. These are sister sites in the Alliance, (but do seem to be a mite less hectic than here).

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Part of the problem with posting excerpts is that when we go to publish our stories, if they're online in any form or fashion the publisher might consider them "previously published" and therefore tainted. You can get around that by locking them, even on a forum with free and pretty open membership (like this one, or several of the crit forums available for writers)...

... so to make a long story short, it would be beneficial to make the writer's section members-only.

If there were a locked section where we could share our stories, you better believe you'd be seeing excerpts. 90% of aspiring writers crave feedback at an almost insane level.

Guild Member

Gidde, that's my problem, too, because my hubby and me do plan to publish eventually.

Post I use theCBG.org lots.

As RobA mentioned, of the Fantaseum sites linked from the fifth heading on the menu bar at the top of each page, which is linked to theCBG.org or (the Campaign Builder's Guild) which I used lots to bounce ideas of them. Much of the early development Kaidan, especially its cosmology which is at the core of the setting was developed in discussions on there, as well several other forums online. While current development is using the Paizo Pathfinder RPG, some early discussion went on the Iron Crown Enterprises boards when I had considered offering Kaidan as a HARP or Rolemaster system setting - and got nearly as much new ideas on that forum.

Here, I've only focused on the maps, while providing updates to how the project was going, here... Working on a Publication...

Much of the work was just me of course, not working with a forum or wiki, and some in collaboration with my publisher Dementia 5 Publishing...http://www.dementia5.com/community/index.php

That's all my resources for developing Kaidan, and it looks like it will be released for publication on Wednesday, next week.

So it really depends on your needs, who you are publishing with (or self-publishing) on who can really help.

I look forward to our Guild offering the hinted at Writer's boards and other associated upgrades to the site, that would be GREAT!

GP

PS: regarding the Iron Crown Enterprise games, I've talked with to author/developers of both HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) and RM (Rolemaster) with the possibility of offering Kaidan for those gaming systems too. So once I get the Alpha rules in semi-publication and a couple more adventure modules for Pathfinder, I will probably have them help me alter the rules to fit their systems for a cut in the profit sent to those guys for both different I.C.E. systems, so I didn't just take advantage of their assistance, without a paying back by offering the setting for thier systems. Of course the more game systems the setting works with the greater the potential of overall profit on the project as a whole.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations