Thread: The Slobber Buffalo Tavern. Advice Wanted!

Map The Slobbering Buffalo Tavern. Advice Wanted!

Well, this is a small map for a tavern, the thing is... I would like to hear your opinions about the bevel and shadows, i like them, but they are maybe too much.

This is just a start, i know i need work on the textures, and maybe put some grass outside of it but, right now i would love to hear your opinions on the two subjets talked above.

Thanks XD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Slobber Buffalo Tavern.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	17053  
    Last edited by zenram; 09-25-2009 at 01:31 PM.

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Post I avoid directional shadow...

Zenram, I don't mean to imply you did anything wrong with the shadowing as some mapping apps like Campaign Cartographer do the same kind thing, that is placing a directional shadow as in your map.

The problem with a directional shadow is that it implies light coming from the sun, and to see a directional shadow on the interior, it means there is no roof.

My two thoughts on shadowing are thus:

1. Most often I use a halo shadow, that is a shadow at the base of the object that is equal on all sides. As if no specific light source is causing it, really more of a way to help differentiate the walls from the floor.

2. If shadow accuracy is important, it would be better to place interior light sources (ie: torches on sconces, roaring fireplace, or hanging wall lanterns.) then create the shadows based on where the light sources are and directional shadows based on those light sources. This would probably be the most accurate way of doing it.

Unless I go to the trouble of placing light sources, I usually only use "halo" shadows, as it is only a convention to help a viewer know what is floor and what is wall.

I see no specific bevel issue, though, I use bevels all the time in my interior maps.

Final point, if this map was going to be used in a VT app, like MapTool or Fantasy Grounds, aside from possible use of halo shadow, you don't want to place shadows at all, as the players may have a light source in their hand and the respective shadows are based on that light source and shadows will change as they move around your map.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-25-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The current shadowing makes the walls seem as if they are floating. I don't know CC very well (having not used it in years), you may want to go with a dark inner glow for the shadows inside the building and use the more 'directional' shadows for the exterior.

Love the name of the inn - though maybe it should be "Slobbering Buffalo"
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

yeha, i know... But is so cool. XD

Well, the light source is something i don't think im gonna implement on this one, i did it on other maps, but this is a lot simplier, after all is just a tavern, it don't need a mood.

But... Damm, i like it so much, but you are right, i just needed some one said it to me. Xd

Im gonna return to work on it. XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Upss, yeha, i need to work more on my english. XD

Corrections wanted. XD

PD:
    1. Most often I use a halo shadow, that is a shadow at the base of the object that is equal on all sides. As if no specific light source is causing it, really more of a way to help differentiate the walls from the floor.
    Im gonna try this one. XD
    Last edited by zenram; 09-25-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Well, i think it's a great improvement... What dou you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THESLO~2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	17075  
    Last edited by zenram; 09-25-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Leaps and bounds above the original
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.