Thread: Greetings From a Newbie

Help Greetings From a Newbie

Hey all, I didn't see any guidelines on what to post here, so forgive me while I maunder for a bit.

I found this site while doing a google search for a way to turn an equirectangular map into an equal area map. This site suggested Hugin, which turns out to be perfect for my needs. From my equirectangular map I've created the map at ( http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nf...dex.php/Settin ). The scale is 12 km per pixel, the lowest latitude line is the equator of this world, and the map key is ( http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nf...x.php/Map_Keys ). I'm probably going to go with the idea that this world is hotter on average than our earth.

I edit my equirectangular map in GIMP (with the grid lines on a separate layer), and use Hugin to get the portions I want in an equal-area projection. I'm still playing around with general placement of world-keyed features, but once that's done I'll import the equal-area maps into AutoRealm for prettification for the areas I need. I also use the Roleplaying City Map Generator 5.0 for generating cities on occasion.

I'm 45 years old and have had world-creation as a hobby for quite some time. I've always been dissatisfied with maps in the past, so I haven't done much with them. I don't care much for forums, preferring mailing lists and wikis, but hopefully I can get some useful information off this one.

If anyone knows where I could find an equirectangular projection of our earth just showing continent outlines ( national/state boundaries are OK, but grid lines are not ) please let me know. Since most people don't know how to read maps, a faded overlay corresponding to a part of our world can make lots of things clear.

Correction. The scale on the final map (not the thumbnails shown on the page) is supposed to be 12 km per pixel. Examining the base image, it isn't. It look like I need to tweak some things in Hugin.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps#World

Try the "Worldmap_wdb_combined". I have used it before. It is in SVG, but you can use Inkscape to turn it into any sized png file you need. OR import the SVG into gimp at the size you want.

-Rob A>

Thank you. I should be able to tweak those blank maps to do what I want. They're what I was looking for and not finding.

Kudos on the wiki. My only 'beef' is my personal beef of maps with scales of X km/miles per Pixel. I realize that may be how it is done in the graphics program, but with everyone have likely different outputs on their monitors (i.e. 1280x800 or 1024x76, these scales are never really accurate representations. A scale bar however, will always be relatively accurate regardless of the output ratio of someone's monitor.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Oh. I intend to add a scale bar, but like latitude and longitude labels I haven't reached that point. The project I'm working on now, a shadow map of North America overlaying the map, will also provide a sense of scale.