Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Holy Isle" isometric sketch-up

Map "Holy Isle" isometric sketch-up

Hello, friends. Thought I would post my latest: an isometric sketch-up of an ancient, abandoned "Holy Isle" from my GURPS campaign. My players traveled to the island once before, but left without completing their task (to find a mysterious "holy font" they were told was located on the Isle). Now they are returning, one year later (in both game time and real time!)

The former map I used for during the first visit was a Dundjinni plan-view of the island, but this time I went the other extreme by creating a hand-sketched, bird's-eye angular view, which also includes pull-outs of many of the major rooms and sights the players experienced their last visit.

This was a fun task, & a fairly quick job (considering the size of the map). I hope you like it. You can find it here: http://www.ormonds.net/rpg/westaven/...islandview.jpg

Take care!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Praise

Very nice! I must say, I would like to see something done up in 3D of this. Hmm... I could be convinced... LOL

Sandeman
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Praise

This is absolutely brilliant. I am quite impressed. I would say that I wish the picture would extend the entire way -- I rather dislike how it fades out toward the edges as the fade is inconsistent. I also dislike the fade because the quote in the bottom left corner then fades back in and that seems odd to me. I also think the lines leading from the bubbles to the map are too thick, but that's nit-picky and a personal opinion.

Beyond that, I love it. You have a great color scheme here that really fits the feeling well. This really is a great piece.
    Last edited by Jharviss; 07-25-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Praise

I'm stunned! That is beautiful for being a sketch. I wish my sketches were half that good. I love the concept as much as the drawing. Fabulous.

You have been duly repped!

EDIT: I have to concur about the leader lines and circle borders. Against the sketched look they are just too clean and thick and distract a bit. I have no problem with the fade off although a different color than white might be a bit more pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 07-25-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Very nice job. I too wish I could do that sort of thing. The whole perspective thing just gets me every time.

Default Appreciation for a great concept map

Your map reminds me of a cinematic storyboard before the interference from actors. Your players are fortunate to have such a talented GM. By the way I am also a fan of your GURPS campaign website. GURPS Rocks as RPG system and you are telling a story backed up by solid game mechanics and numerous forms of quality art.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Fister View Post
    Your map reminds me of a cinematic storyboard before the interference from actors.
    Yes!! That's the look I was going for, combined slightly with architectural sketches--well, that and doing the sketch quickly. That being said I must admit I've always loved film concept boards. My favorite, although a cluche' choice, are the boards from Jackson's Lord of the Rings films: they leave you with just enough for your imagination to munch on, enough to inspire wonder, while not giving you with a photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Fister View Post
    Your players are fortunate to have such a talented GM. By the way I am also a fan of your GURPS campaign website. GURPS Rocks as RPG system and you are telling a story backed up by solid game mechanics and numerous forms of quality art.
    Good Goopy Gobs of Gravy! What a compliment! I'm totally not worth that, although I sure thank you for it. That says more about your kindness than the reality of it, I'm sure.

Our Westaven website is really an in-house project, used primarily for record keeping among we players. Although we have a welcome page geared toward anyone who stumbles upon the site, we never really expect anyone other than the six of us bothers to look at it. I am glad you did, though. Thanks a million.

PS: You're right about GURPS. It rocks!
    Don
    My gallery is here

Post Wow.

Pyrandon - going back through the Finished Maps this morning. The sketch-up is one of the coolest maps I've seen in awhile. It reminds me of a tourist brochure for a vacation destination.

Slightly "different" style but amazing.

Thanks a lot, Cartog! (can I call you Cartog? It's the nature of my work and me that I look at it now, months later, and cringe a bit. I would change two million things about it were I to go back--and maybe someday I will.

Thanks again.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast