Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Map an O'Neill Cylinder?

What about an animated view? Have the different areas of the cylinder progressively move into view and then out.

Guild Journeyer

Sounds hard to print.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

? Even if you don't have a screen display, it's easy enough to set up something like that as a flipbook. Now, clumsy I can see, but the OP wants to make a particular impression and clumsy doesn't seem to be priority.

Guild Journeyer

I'll probably have to compromise somewhere. An animated map would certainly solve the problem, but it creates many more of its own. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

FWIW, being able to select what maps (surface textures) are to be shown is one of the (many) reasons I use Anim8or for 3D design and Celestia for displaying the results. Both are free.
    Selden

Blog Entries

I think that the purpose of the map should be an important indicator of how to lay it out. For example if navigating one of the land masses, it seems difficult to move onto one of the other strips so a square map of one strip at a time seems reasonable. The artists impressions at top of thread seem to indicate that there is an attempt to keep them basically flat even though they span 60 degrees of chord.

The space is inherently 3D so I think a 3D viewing solution is required. Our earth is a globe but were not interested in anything other than its surface which is 2D. If applying the same logic then three square strips is the way to show it but thats bound to lack the 3D nature of it just like mercators etc lack the global feel of the earth maps.

If you did go for three strips then it seem logical that one of them should be much higher than the other two. The high res one being the one your stood on. Since the other two are less important from that proximity.

Id also like to chime in and say that if your not going to print the map on fixed sized paper then wasted space is of no issue.

I still think the fundamental question here is "What is the main purpose of the map", "What information is it meant to convey".

How about a nano view of each sky over its relative landmass.

As far as the wasted space notion, I'd like to posit that just like silence is part of music, too, so emptiness is a part of art. And what is cartography, but a branch of art?

So far, I prefer the rose-design (flat 4-bar spread from the beginning of the discussion), but I think it would be best imitating an active plan. Maybe the rose-design to show a more technical layout of important locations, and one slice at a 3/4 view off to one side, representing the slice currently being examined, where you'd find all the artistic mappy bits.

Alternatively, with the rose-design as it currently is, you could have all the panels have a 3/4 view in one of the empty spaces. Then you're getting some of the perspective/scale, an easily read map, and all the slices.

-asp

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    what is cartography, but a branch of art?
    I consider it a division of information science.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Create the flat rectangular map of the side of the cylinder. Print it on a transparency. Roll into a cylinder. Tape or otherwise attach the side so they stay a cylinder. If you want the end pieces, they'll need to be created as well, but other than greater mechanical difficulties in proper assembly, they'd work pretty much the same way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast