Thread: Salutations

Post Salutations

Hello everyone! I'm going to be running a game online using VTT for the first time. The game is set in the 1940s, which means my options for maps are pretty limited. So I'm here to learn how to make my own!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome aboard and good luck. Lots of good info to check out and great tutorials to follow.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Cool, several VTT devs like me here and many more who use them.

1940's we dont see so many of but we could do with more. Id suggest using a 3D app like Blender or something like that cos theres loads of tanks and spitfires and guns and boats in 3D meshes so render them top down and import.

RPGMapShare is also pretty useful for grabbing more modern stuff too.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks all! Redrobes, although I have seen plenty of military vehicles, I'm actually looking to do more work to represent small town America. Main streets, pumping stations, farm houses, etc. I fortunately have familiarity with Blender, Maya, and Photoshop... it's going to be putting them all together to make decent looking maps that will be the tricky part.

Post Use old photos

I'd go look for photos on 1940's scenes, automobiles, then using for reference create top-down map objects from them. Its a method I used for other types of mapping, especially when you can't find a true top-down photo. Building-wise, there would be plenty of 19th century brick type buildings, so you wouldn't have to be 1940's accurate with buildings so much, as long as you didn't include modern buildings (post 1940's).

So what kind of game is this, Roswell, New Mexico; Detective stories - I'm trying to imagine a 1940's theme that isn't about the war, Old Superman??

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Vansant View Post
    ...it's going to be putting them all together to make decent looking maps that will be the tricky part.
    Nah thats the easy bit. Your right, a VTT would be really good for that once you have done the hard work of rendering all that stuff up and made icons out of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'd go look for photos on 1940's scenes, automobiles, then using for reference create top-down map objects from them. Its a method I used for other types of mapping, especially when you can't find a true top-down photo. Building-wise, there would be plenty of 19th century brick type buildings, so you wouldn't have to be 1940's accurate with buildings so much, as long as you didn't include modern buildings (post 1940's).

So what kind of game is this, Roswell, New Mexico; Detective stories - I'm trying to imagine a 1940's theme that isn't about the war, Old Superman??

GP
    Gamerprinter, I've been collecting lots of period of photos. Fortunately the Internet seems to be full of them.

As for the game itself, the campaign is called Left Field. It's set in 1947 in midwestern America. It's a combination of Communists, Cthulhu, Nazi pseudo-science, the supernatural... and baseball. I have a page on Obsidian Portal, feel free to take a look.

Sounds like a really great period to RPG in. I like 'The Archies' meet 'Cthullu' vibe!

Best of luck with the mapping. My only suggestion would be to get as many references of maps made in or around the 40s and then try to get the same feel. You could (should) have a lot of fun with this.

I'll look forward to seeing your maps.