Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern Hestia [WIP Fantasy Map]

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Most likely it would follow the "path of least resistance" (and downward elevation) and stay in a single course (again I'm far from an expert).

An easy fix would be to have some mountains in the lower left and have one of the 'branches' start from there.

Ultimately, if you have a story related reason for having the river the way it is, then don't worry about it.

Also, a lake will almost never have 2 outlets, eventually as the water level changes one of the outlets will become dominant and the other(s) will dry up.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

A river is not going to split to go around some mountains, it's going to stay together and go one way or the other but not both. The only reason that it would do so is in the first few days after some cataclysmic event like an earthquake...but then one channel will become dominant (because it either has a steeper slope or softer dirt to plow through) and the other will go the way of the dodo. So if you want two rivers there, have two rivers. Just don't split one river into two rivers...have two separate rivers. Raistlin can write his name in the stars but even he never tried to keep a river perpetually split.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think I've solved the river problem...I removed the dual outflow from the lake and took the split and turned it into two separate rivers. Hopefully this is more accurate.

I cut back the number of fonts from 3 to 2 as well, I think it brings a little more continuity to the map and minimizes distractions. I've added a bunch more features and labels but I'm still far from completing that part of the map...the most important features I've tried to simulate are farm fields (Fields of Laertes, Parnes Grange, etc.) and a plateau.

Please tell me what you think.

Hestia as of 9/24/09,
    Last edited by ExMachina; 09-27-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Very nice looking map. Nice colours and I love the fonts and the labelling.

It's a little hard to see the details that you mention. I can see the fields but at this resolution they look like a blur in the middle of tiny trees. I can't find the plateau that you mention though.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Very nice looking map. Nice colours and I love the fonts and the labelling.

It's a little hard to see the details that you mention. I can see the fields but at this resolution they look like a blur in the middle of tiny trees. I can't find the plateau that you mention though.
    The fields are actually supposed to be just a darker blur. The defining feature I used to describe them were the thin tree lines that divide each field from the next. The plateau is just above the Tethyian Sea label...essentially I tried to make the illusion that is was higher up but I don't think it quite worked.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The rivers look good, except you still have a split at the end of the longer one. If this is some sort of delta that would be OK otherwise I believe it is "illegal".

Not a big deal really, just wanted to point it out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is looking really good, but I have to jump on the river bandwagon. If you put some tapers onto them you'd have a really fantastic map here. Also, it does look like that's a delta, but if so, you may want to think about fanning it out some more, since deltas usually don't just split into 2 forks. Those 2 forks could be the boundaries of your delta, which would then split into a ton of little rivulets (wikipedia's alluvial fan page has a great example, even though a delta and an alluvial fan aren't really the same thing).

Other than that, I really like the style you've got going here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tapering rivers would be a good idea, also thick and thin parts but don't overwhelm yourself if you don't want to. The only thing that really caught my eye was what almost eluded my eye...the mountains could be just a tad darker to make them stand out more from the trees. Otherwise, good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good catch on the mountains, thank you. I'm testing some different opacity levels that look a lot better so far.

The split of the river into the "delta" is a mistake, I meant to edit it out when I fixed the other river problems.

Right now I'm working on fleshing out the map, trying to think of some creative things to do with the vast empty space I still have.

I'm still adding various labels and other things to the map, I didn't quite realize how large it was until I started adding the details.

Please take a look and tell me what you think. I would welcome any suggestions.

Hestia as of 9/27/09,
    Last edited by ExMachina; 09-27-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast