Thread: CC3: Creating a landlocked sea

Guild Applicant

Help CC3: Creating a landlocked sea

I have once again picked up CC3 and once again I am stumped by a desire to create a landlocked sea.

If I have an already created a land mass, how do I remove a section of it in the middle (without connecting to one of the boarders) so that the sea (template background) will show through? I am trying to avoid creating a higher sheet such as a lake or river.

It was suggested I use the MultiPoly tool, however everything I have tried using that tool, has simply erased the entire landmass. Below are the steps I tried using the MultiPoly tool (I will admit I am not sure I am using the tool correctly).

1. I already have a filled landmass, created using land default.
    2. I created a second enclosed poly, in the shape that I want removed from the landmass.
    3. I click MultiPoly, and selected the poly created in step 2.
    4. Right click and select Do It

Result: The poly I created fills in with the color as dictated on the top bar, combining both the outline and the fill together and moves it to the sheet I also have displayed on the bar.

Issue: I am noob with CC3 and CAD, and I don't really have a clue what multipoly is doing. I have checked the help and google, but neither give a very good definition.

Wanted: I want to subtract the poly I created in step 2 from the landmass I created earlier, leaving the default sea underneith displayed. I want the outline of the new poly to basically be a new (internal) border for the land mass. Ie create a hole in the land mass.

Does anyone have any ideas? Furthermore, does anyone know of a tutorial that shows the effective and hopefully multiple uses of the MultiPoly tool? (bonus if it actually shows how to make a hole in an entity)

Welcome Warklaw...
    I already saw your post on the Profantasy forum and I don't really have any new advice/suggestions for you. Why don't you want to create a higher sheet? That would probably the solution I would go for (and have used in several of my CC3 maps).

Did you already watch the video tutorials for CC3? They might not explain how to create an inland sea, but they should give you at least a basic understanding of the software.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Applicant

Don't get me wrong I think the sheet idea is a fine resolution for this particular problem. I think more or less, I am now trying to figure out MultiPoly in case I have to create whole in other entities for future maps, like a forest clearing or a mountain valley. In these other instances having to create a new sheet each time seems a bit silly, so long as the sheet below the forest is what I want to the clearing to be.

Guild Applicant

I was able to finally use MultiPoly to get the effect I wanted. I have listed the steps below:

Creating a hole in a Landmass entity:
    1. Make a second landmass entity in the desired shap of your hole.

2. Make certain that your top information bar reflects the Sheet/Layer/Color/Fill etc.. of the end landmass desired. You can use the Exact Properties tool (eye dropper) to accomplish this.

3. Click on the MultiPoly tool and select the entity you created in step 1. If your created landmass has a line bordering it, you will notice that 2 entities are selected, your border and your fill.

4. Since I wanted to keep the boarder around my future hole, and only wanted the fill to be the hole, we need to unselect the line. I did it by using the Combine > Not and Color = 0 to do this. We should now have one entity (the fill) currently selected.

5. Hold CTRL and select the landmass that you are creating a hole in.

6. Now the Command Line should display that we have 3 entities selected. Once again we need to unselect the border. Again I used the Combine > Not and Color = 0 (as my border is black) to do this. We should now have two entities (both fills from our two entities) currently selected.

7. Right click and hit 'Do It', then click 'Redraw'

8. Your landmass should now have a hole in it. However, when I did this my black border was suddenly 'below' the landmass giving it a broken and dashed appearance. This can be resolved by moving the border line back to the top.

9. Click the 'Move to top' tool and the select either the edge of the hole or the edge of the landmass. Once again we need to make certain that only the border line is selected this time we can use Combine > And, Color > 0, then right click and selecet 'Do It'. Our border should once again be on top.

10. Repeat step 9 for the other border.

Thanks for giving a short writeout of the necessary steps!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...