Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Regional Map - untitled atm

Guild Novice

I would bump the names around a but, but I really want to keep all of the place-names' positioning consistent. All of the two word names have the first word lined up with the place indicator, with the second word offset underneath, and all of the single word names have the word offset underneath. I really hate to mess the consistency up for only two names.

And looking at it again, there's a couple of layers that I haven't dimmed that I have with other placenames (the shoreline and shoreline shadow at Plumper Pastures, and the shoreline shadow at Lavender Town) that I can dim slightly with (hopefully) great effect and without anything on the map noticeably changed.

Thank you for your compliments and (however minor) CC. I'm really glad you (and everyone else) are liking this map so much. Nice to know my obsessiveness paid off .

Thank you to whoever repped me as well

Incidentally, thanks for the ocean color compliment. Just in case you were wondering how I achieved it, I followed Butch Curry's example in one of his world map tutorials, don't really remember which off hand. I had my Alpha map under channels, which I made my selection. With the oceans within the selection, it was a simple matter of finding an appropriately large soft-edge brush and tracing the ocean border. Then I Gaussian Blurred it at something like 80px or something. It's a really easy way to get a nice looking subtle coloring around a landmass. I loved it when I saw it (like I loved most of everything else in those tutorials. I wish his life hadn't got so busy to force him to stop the FCAP vodcasts. Can't wait for him to start back up.)
    Last edited by IMakeIce; 09-26-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Guild Novice

Next Update:

Got the rest of the names I'll be putting on the map on there. I'd like to add some points of interest, but truth be told, most of those are going to be determined by the way the game shapes up. And as I'm going to be printing this map and giving it as a handout...I can't really give away the points of interest before the players know they exist.

I'll be ripping and tearing up the map a bit, doing some crumpling, maybe some creasing, and adding a couple more subtle bits, and it should be ready for the Finished Maps forum. Unless anyone has any other CCs for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regionalmaptextured7.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	17108  

Blog Entries

I really like it.

The only criticism I could level at it is that some of the lines are a little angular in places, I.e. the coastal strokes etc. But that is just nitpicking.

I'm sure your players will love their handouts and will be able to visualise their world really well.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great map! Have some rep

That font is fantastic, what is it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12