Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does this name for a setting sound to you?

Guild Member

Post How does this name for a setting sound to you?

Okay, I am (re)writing a series of novels that are Arabian Nights style fantasy. I think I've decided on a name for the world/setting.

Mir'aj (sounds like mirage)

Now, in Islam the word miraj is the second part of a journey taken by the Prophet Muhammad and his ascent into Paradise.

My books, rooted in Arabic tradition, however do not take place on Earth and the people of this world are not Islamic.

Most readers will think of an exotic desert setting (which is what I want). At the same time I do not it to be offensive to Muslims. I do not believe this to be the case, but I am running it by as many people as possible for feedback.

So I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds cool, and definitely a place I would expect to have an Arabian Feel to it.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Sounds good to me.

Of course, Muslims are as individual as Christians - what will offend one person will not offend another. You can't please everyone, and your concerns do you credit.

We have a guy here called Ascension (hi ) and he hasn't been lynched yet. I don't see the difference.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it sounds good, and like NK it brings to mind the desert-y type setting you seem to be aiming for.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like Mir'aj better than the other, original, name anyways...just didn't want to tell ya Your game = your rules, I just draw it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That's an excellent title for what you're doing as it evokes everything you're aiming for; the desert, an exotic culture, etc.

Not to mention it's a nice play on words with its pronunciation.
    Last edited by ExMachina; 09-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Guild Member

As an artist, you should be concerned with how your audience will appreciate your work but you should not be as concerned with the way individuals will interpret your work.

I say this because no two people will see the work the same (keeping with the religious undertones expressed in this thread I will draw your attention to the bible - so many interpretations there).

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    As an artist, you should be concerned with how your audience will appreciate your work but you should not be as concerned with the way individuals will interpret your work.

I say this because no two people will see the work the same (keeping with the religious undertones expressed in this thread I will draw your attention to the bible - so many interpretations there).
    Agreed. However, there can be times when an author thinks it is okay and then realizes it later (once it cannot be taken back) when it turns to be offensive. A bit of homework on my part I hope will reduce the chance of an unintentional mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vgunn View Post
    Agreed. However, there can be times when an author thinks it is okay and then realizes it later (once it cannot be taken back) when it turns to be offensive. A bit of homework on my part I hope will reduce the chance of an unintentional mistake.
    Like Hayao Miyazaki with his film "Laputa." He took the name from Gulliver's Travels, not realizing that (apparently) in spanish it means "The Whore." I believe he was kinda mortified when he realised and although he could not change the film and the constant references to it, the title was changed to "Castle in the Sky" and those words are placed over the word "Laputa" on the title card at the beginning.

Slightly, off-topic I guess, sorry. The name sounds good by the way.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast