Thread: Problem with object brushes

Post Problem with object brushes

Hi.

Im preparing a map in Photoshop (cs4) and I have installed a pack of brushes with trees, moutains ecc...

Where I use them, I have a problem with overlap.
    This image will explain better than words.

Am I missing any settings to resolve this problem?

Thanks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

IIRC all the 'white' is transparent. To get what you want you may need to make your own brush.

...and Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Photoshop does not permit a two-toned brush, unfortunately.

What you need is the Clone Stamp tool (S). First, make a new document, create a new layer, and delete the background layer. You should now be seeing the transparency checkerboard. Place down a single stroke of your brush, then fill the areas you want to be white with white.

Choose the Clone Stamp tool and alt-click the center of your new brush image. Switch back to your other document, and use the clone brush to put down the trees. Since the edges are transparent, they'll overlap properly, and the white will appear in your image.

If you have a texture that you want to show through, set the blend mode of your trees layer to Darken or Multiply so the white disappears.

If you want multiple tree sizes, you'll have to set up each size on your stamp document and switch between them.

To make things easier, you could set up your trees on the same document your working in. You'll need to make sure the Clone Stamp is set up to sample only the current layer instead of all layers, and make sure you have the correct layer selected when you alt-click.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

An excellent solution Midgardsormr - I've been trying to think a solution for this problem but I was at a loss!

...another alternative would be to have the trees as solid green.
    The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I never even thought of clone, great idea. I'll have to give that a whirl. Rep for you! No rep for me!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah well, you got enough already! Learn to share!

edit: That wasn't meant to be taken seriously, btw. Just joshin' with ya.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 09-25-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name