Thread: Broken Tower

Map Broken Tower

This is a map of a broken tower seen in the 1985 AD&D module, The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's a huge structure, and houses many troops. it was a real challenge for me because of all the ground that I had to render. I am not good at wilderness mapping, heh.

The map is at full 100dpi resolution at a scale of 5 ft = 1 inch, so it's quite big (2.7 Mb)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken_tower.jpg 
Views:	1545 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	563  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty. How did you do all the shadows inside? They give a great sense of the lighting.

My one quibble is the blue grey region around the outside of the tower. Is is a moat? If so, it looks like it is raised above the ground because of the bevel on the edges. Otherwise, a really pretty map.

Tintagel, yet another nice updated "classic D&D" map! Love it! This was all done in Photoshop, right? Wow.

I tried to find some criticism/ suggestions, and I hope you appreciate it, because it was tough!! Only petty nitpicky stuff could be found
    I agree with Torstan that the moat looks odd--both the edge of it, and the direction of the ripples, which are mainly perpendicular with the tower; in a (very) strong wind this could happen, but most likely they would follow the shoreline's contour, I think. Also, the tupper shadow from the table in the main room may be a bit off (I could be wrong about that). And finally, although you've added shadows to the floor where objects lie, the objects themselves are not IN shadow enough; the grain sacks, for example, each have a bright highlight on them. This gives the objects a neon, false feeling (if, that is, you look closely with a magnifying glass!!! hahaha)

Otherwise, another highly detailed, richly detailed map. Keep 'em comin!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Tintagel, yet another nice updated "classic D&D" map! Love it! This was all done in Photoshop, right? Wow.
    I'll throw my hat into the ring and guess that it's actually done with Dundjinni.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Nice work!

Hey folks,

I didn't receive my email notification when replies were made, so I hope you forgive me for not replying.

The blue ring is actually a sloped stone embankment, or I interpreted it as such. I dunno what purpose it serves, but the original module had it, and I was just concerned with doing a faithful conversion. Here is the original map from the module, for reference.

This map was made in Dundjinni, with post-work in Photoshop.