Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoka Hey! (It's a good day to die)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I had the same problem. They look too thin for you because he's using a 500x500 drawing area, and yours is much bigger. I got good results when I doubled the numbers for the gaussian blur and the displace map.

Still, it doesn't look bad as is either

Wip Slow going but im going

Thanks Gid for the tips it helped allot actually. I tried to go back and touch up my whisps I dont think it made a difference but there not bad so I can live with it. Since this is my first map its pretty much a trial anyways knowing myself i'll want to remake a better one. This is where im at now only problem is the color scheme since im planning on this map being a northern territory for my viking story there will be allot of snow cap and ice. I figure I will finish the tutorial and go back with a different color scheme perhaps on my next map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlphaMap.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	17180  

Haha, I hear ya. I went through a lot of false starts before I actually finished a map. Each one, you learn so much!

This one's lookin' good

Wip at first you dont succeed try try again

I thought about making my mountains look like they have a treeline didnt work out to well but im posting it anyways im going to try something else tomarow. Mountains are hard imo. I was going for snow cap with tree line far from it hehehe.

Name:	AlphaMapGreen.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	609.6 KB 
ID:	17204  

How do I put a pic next to my name? Just curious I have one id realy like to put in there. This is the one actually

Name:	fre23.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	17205  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

1. Click on the "User CP" link at the top of the page
    2. Click "Edit Avatar"
    3. Click on the "Use Custom Avatar" button and use the file upload box to select the file you want to use or enter a URL
    4. Click "Save Changes"

I think the file you have posted is going to be to large, you'll need to resize/trim it down some in order to use it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Mountains are indeed hard. Experiment, experiment, experiment, and you'll find a technique you like

Wip I'm getting the layers down a lil

I dont like the map at all. I will probably scrap it and start over haha. I have learned allot but im still amazed at the maps I see on this sight so I know im in the right place and hopefully in a few months I'll have my legendary map.

Name:	AlphaMapq.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	17257  

Post Cool Holloween WP

I am not sure if its appropriate since it's not a map but I thought I would share my wallpaper I am using and help promote the spirit of Holloween thats right around the corner. I'm pretty excited I do pumpkin carvings every year and invite a handfull of friends over. If it's ok with you guys I could post our pumpkins when we make them in a couple weeks. Anyways thanks for all the help and inspiration after making my own map I have allot more respect for you guys its definately a fine skill.

Name:	The-Nightmare-Before-Christmas-nightmare-before-christmas-227740_1024_768.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	17258  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say post them pumpkins because I do creative pumpkins with my nieces...those 3d kinds that you see sometimes. It'd have to go into the general topics forum, though.

As for your map the thing that is most strikingly wonky is also easy to fix...the regularity of your shapes and the hard bevel. Use a low opacity eraser with a small size and break up the edges of those shapes and then turn down the highlight and shadow of the bevel. Switch back n forth between low opacity small eraser and high opacity small eraser if you want and mix in some low opacity big eraser...just something to break up the edge.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast