Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoka Hey! (It's a good day to die)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Hoka Hey! (It's a good day to die)

Hello im new and have been researching this website for the past 2 days and im impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. I use to play DnD then conned out for the easy digital versions wich became boring like EQ WoW need I say more. I have uninstalled my games from my comp and have been taking up the hobby of writing sci fi/fantasy. I havnt published anything or have finished a book for that matter but I am loving this hobby of mine. I love creating art in all forms especially in the form of story.

So I basicly want to make some maps for my stories and have been trying Rob A's award winning gimp tutorial. I have never used any programs so his tutorial has been chalenging for me. I just got stuck on trying to invert haha pretty noob stuff.

Thanks for your inspiration, creativity and guidance.

p.s. Hoka Hey is a title of one of my favorite stories about Crazy Horse one of the Lakota Cheifs from midwest.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

We all start out as new, don't worry, just keep practicing and working at it

Welcome to the guild, and don't be afraid to post a "WIP" - work in progress thread to show off what you're doing and ask for advice.

Good luck!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome, im sure you will have a great time here!!!

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Map WIP slow going but progressive

Right now im stuck on making my coastline whispy.
    Create a new layer called “Seashore”, and fill it with the really light water colour (Water 1). Add a layer mask, using the “Land Mask” channel, and ensure “Invert” is unchecked.
    I guess im not sure how to fill it with really light water hehe im getting the complicated stuff its just the easy things that are expected I know is whats hard atm. Anyways here is what i have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlphaMap.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	17096  

Great graduated misty blue on your sea!

It looks like you are off to a great start!

Welcome aboard.

phil

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think that if you apply the Landmask to this layer, or place the land above the sea layers in the layer stack, that would solve the issue of the sea bleeding into the land areas. Would also really make the sea stand out.

I agree with philipstephen: nice misty sea.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wip let there be grass

This is how far I got today its getting easier there is still allot to learn. I dont like how slim my sea shore whisps are. I am also having a hard time with making my bump map look like robs. Right now im stuck on the dirt so I deleted that layer im taking a break and will try again. Here is what I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlphaMap1.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	17121  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Not too bad, it's got a good looking ground base. I like the wisps, once you have everything else worked out I think they might look nice this way - reminds me of surf.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast