Thread: Isometric Test WIP

Guild Novice

Post Isometric Test WIP

Hey Guildies! I just figured Id throw out some of the stuff Ive been working on with gimp and genetica viewer. I havent messed around too much with terragen just yet but I will soon. Here is an example of my first version of this map using strictly RoBAs regional map tutorial and the second is partly a copy of that using a few different patterns and some Isometrics I got from the Dundjinni user archives with gimp. I know theres some errors on the latter, but I was just wanting to see how I could get it to look from an Isometric viewpoint. Ill keep posting stuff as I keep learning! Take care and keep up the great work everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	17050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul3WIP.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	17051  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking pretty good so far.

I think the isometric version could use some shadowing though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Definitely need some sort of definition on the isometric one. The sort of texturing you have on the ground makes me expect some more shading, a bit more topography, something. Find something that works with the perspective you've got going on.

Guild Novice

Yea, I think I am going to give up on the isometric stuff for now, I find Im spending too much time with mapping instead of writing. Its a great addition, however and I plan to keep doing it to help flesh out and background my story lines. Ive figured out what I was doing wrong with the simple mountains tutorial by RoBA, so Im going back to a topview mapping style for now until I can afford a scanner, photoshop and a drawing tablet. Then I can start really defining my own style utilizing what I have drawn by hand. Thanks for the advice!