Thread: First Map - Hedros - P-WIP

Wip First Map - Hedros - P-WIP

So far, I was just testing the waters but I decided to dive in with a first map - well at least, a first map which has made it to a decent level safely without being shredded by me. Even so, I don't consider it a WIP - more like a pre-WIP.

This is something I started out as a impetus to continue with my writing - as usual, and it went on from there. While I love the 3D styles of the many maps here, I wanted a more drawn style for this map. Once I get the base details down, I think I'll try the gorgeous tutorials on 3D maps, but much later.

At the moment, there are too many rivers, because this started out as simply a reference map based on an FT map, based on which I was planning to make smaller maps - but I, um, got distracted. Also, I have the attention span of a gnat, which means at times I get caught up in mapping out the realism of the map's geography, then get hung up on mapping elements, names, etc, etc., which means many of the things are only halfway complete, or still in experimental stages.

Anyway, thanks to the Guild, because before I only used PS for opening photos, and now I have to admit I'm addicted. I process this site through osmosis so credit goes to every thread I ever went through. There probably won't be much regular updates, 'coz my day job kills me, but I would really appreciate your comments and criticisms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hedros.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	17099  
    Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
    Hobbes : What mood is that?
    Calvin : Last-minute panic.

You got river issues, friend. While they all connect properly there are three large lakes that have no outflow, and unless they're all salt lakes that's not right. I agree that you have too damn many rivers, which is going to make for some very craggy topography, and I think detracts from the map's overall look. Too busy. Getting rid of some would definitely help. Otherwise, very nice. Nice crisp coastlines with decent levels of randomness, a good variety of landmass shapes, good colors, etc. You should keep working on this. I never thought I'd get my first map done, and eventually it came out looking pretty good. My second map is looking even better, too. So keep at it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Gp said what needs to be said about the rivers so I'll just say that I like it and am eager for the next update. So far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yup I agree, remove some of the rivers, but otherwise looks good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the encouraging comments - just what I need to keep me going

Yeah, the lakes were bugging me too, but I was too busy just recording the features from the base FT map I had first, then was going to take a look at them later. I've just deleted them, and will be placing lakes on my own, taking inspiration from world maps.

I also heartily agree with your comments on the rivers. Like I said, this was just a reference map at first, and I wanted all possible rivers down so I could play with them later. Unfortunately, I kind of want to decide which rivers will stay based on whether they would provide a good location for a story, so the darn things are going to stay around till I explore properly, which might take a while. Grid lines were also off, which I've changed, but nothing to warrant an update yet.
    Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
    Hobbes : What mood is that?
    Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Software Dev/Rep

I think your map is off to a really good start. I like the overall look and feel of it. A few less rivers would be ok, and/or more distribution of rivers on the land masses. It took me a few minutes to figure out one thing that seems a tiny bit off to me... it looks like you have a bevel on the coastal waterlines with a northwest illumination. IMHO it makes water on the eastern sides of the land masses look higher in elevation than the land. Likely because this is the illumination typically used for hills and mountains (artificial NW illumination tricks our eyes to see elevated surfaces). Maybe its just me. That said, I like having the bit of white in the waterlines. You should definitely keep going.

Jill Saligoe-Simmel

Ortelius™ – Map Illustration Software