Thread: Asia in an Alternate Timeline

Map Asia in an Alternate Timeline

This is a map I made using Paint.NET for a world (not mine) in which China becomes a Great Power in the early 20th Century (the Superpower Empire TL by Hendryk on Alternatehistory.com). The year is 1926, so I went for that really overcrowded interwar era-style map.
    It's rather simple, really, but I think it's one of my best. I'm not too happy with the cartouche or the water border, but other than that I think it's one of my best maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spefinalob.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	902.0 KB 
ID:	18719  
    Last edited by euio; 11-18-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

o_O ooh i like. You don't see a whole lot of this style map, looks really good.

my only complaint is that the faded parts make reading the finer detail difficult

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's great. But maybe if the water border faded out a little more quickly rather than staying a strong solid bold line for most of its width?

But I like how faded the rest looks in many places, makes it seem fairly old and well-used.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Journeyer

Agreed, I got the feeling that this had been tacked to the wall of a sea side office for a few decades. Very nice aging.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Very cool. I love the style and the concept, and you've executed it quite nicely. I agree with you that the water border is a weak point. I concur with Karro's recommendation; alternately, you could just make it thinner and lighter (or less opaque). The fact that the colors are a bit offset from the black lines (as if by printer error) is a wonderful touch--I own some maps from that era that have that exact feature. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the cartouche except perhaps for the title font, which doesn't seem to fit the style.

A couple of questions: what is the history behind the independent Yakutia? And, if China was a world power, wouldn't they have taken Taiwan (and perhaps even Korea) from the Japanese Empire?
    Visit Tornalia (it's beautiful this time of year)

Yakutia is a client White Russian state set up by the Chinese after their involvement in the Russian Civil War (that's how they got Outer Manchuria and the area around Lake Balkash, too).

They may not have retaken Taiwan yet, but they will. If I remember correct;y (it's been a while since I looked at the timeline) Korea becomes independent in a '40s Sino-Japanese war. They probably got Taiwan then, too.