Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voradin WIP

Another forest cleanup pass. Adjusted some colors in the forest and changed the river bevel a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voradin2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	17395  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Blog Entries

Loving the shadowing on the forest. You can really sense the elevation changes under those trees. No more sandy patches so that's great.

Rivers look good but I liked them before anyway.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

The forests have improved A LOT!
    Looking much better now and I already liked the trees very much.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the overall map, but the forest colors just don't work for me. When I think evergreen forests I picture deeper, darker greens - these seem to have a bit to much blue/aqua in them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The cleanup on the mountains was great but i do agree with Steel General in that there seems a bit too much blue in their colour. Also, on some of the mountains you have painted small strips of forests but they're too blurred and so they don't really look like trees, but the could just be me.

Great work.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Ramah - Thank you! Still lots more clean up to do on the forest edges, but I am getting happy with the look.

Gandwarf - Thank you! I did some research when I recolored my trees this time to be sure they were closer to the type of forest I was imagining.

Steel General - There are a lot of colors in forests out there. I researched thru pictures till I found a sample that I thought served my forests well. I wasn't able to copy the shade 100% due to the overlay nature of how I applied the forest so that the elevations of the mountains would show thru, but I think I got close to my reference.

LonewandererD - Still more cleanup to do but for the blue in the forest I picked a reference from real life. I found this picture that had the type of trees I wanted and had an atmospheric quality that I felt suited my world well. So yeah there are a bunch of possible colors of forest, even the same forest at different seasons is colored vastly different.

My reference for color:

Name:	spruce forest.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	17421  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

TomCardin

Blog Entries

That photo at full size looks kinda old and faded. Depending on film stock and developing procedures etc. that still may not be a true representation of how that forest really looked.

Still, I don't mind the colour anyway. I know you don't like it when I say this, but I still see it as kinda cartoony and part of that is down to the colour.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Ramah - thats quite all right =) I am still trying to find my way to the look I want. This may be a WIP for a looong while hehe.

TomCardin

finally a new update. lots and lots of little tweaks to things. Cities and roads added. About all that is left is labelling and borders...whew. I have already put in about 3 times the amount of time in this that I did with my Wilderlands of Lords map.

Name:	Voradincities.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	18032  

TomCardin

Post good work

I really like the mountains and the forest texture. I don't mean to nitpick, but I noticed that the climate changes seem to indicate that this region lies in the northern hemisphere, which would seem to indicate that your western river should drain to the south, not north. Just saying... :) It looks awesome though, I hope I develop that kind of skill. I'm barely working on my first digital map, so feel free to ignore me completely lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast