Thread: Genetica Viewer vs Real Version.

Guild Apprentice

Question Genetica Viewer vs Real Version.

When I view a texture in the genetica viewer, I see a varying number of 'effect maps' that have been used to generate that texture. These aren't changeable in the viewer.

Am I correct in assuming that to be able to play with the effect maps, combine them, mix them up, etc ... I need to buy the full version of Genetica?

If I don't really need all the 3d functionality of Genetica and am just interested in making textures, I'm guessing it probably isn't worth buying Genetica just for this rather than using effect layers in Photoshop CS4 (which I do own)?

Post Regarding Genetica

Regarding Genetica, I am pretty sure you are correct in your assumption. You will need the full version to make variations and changes to existing textures. For the price, I think that's too high for just our map texture needs, unless you're wealthy, then the cost might be insignificant. I more often find usable textures from existing photo sites, then altering them in PS/GIMP to get them in more tileable format.

Genetica is on my list of possible software to obtain, but sits very low on my list of software needs.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice
    London, UK. Formally Durban, South Africa.

Try MaPZone2 from Allegorithmic. It's a free Shader Generator similar to what you want to do, but mainly used in games, etc. It allows you to export the generated shaders into bitmaps images, so it's very useful if you are going to use the shader in game. I've only just started using it, although I've had it a while.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The Genetica Viewer does allow some basic manipulation of the textures, but you cannot change anything having to do with the 'Effect Maps' themselves.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavar View Post
    Try MaPZone2 from Allegorithmic. It's a free Shader Generator similar to what you want to do, but mainly used in games, etc. It allows you to export the generated shaders into bitmaps images, so it's very useful if you are going to use the shader in game. I've only just started using it, although I've had it a while.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/
    Thanks, I actually just discovered mapzone browsing the older Software Discussion posts minutes before reading this and downloaded it.

Seems like an extremely powerful tool. If nothing else there's a lot to be learned about making textures just from the mapping diagrams it puts up to show all the layers (probably wrong terminology) applied to get from source file to final output.

Mapzone has a learning curve for sure, and is very powerful. The only thing I found with it is that because it's optimised for game design it's not very good for large textures. It gets very slow.

Guild Apprentice

Reading through every thread in this forum (on page 17 of 20, can you say OCD?), I just found this one too from an October 2007 post, looks quite powerful:

http://www.texturemaker.com/tour.php

Edit: and this one called 'Pseam':

http://www.mediachance.com/pseam/