Thread: Photoshop keyboard commands

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Info Photoshop keyboard commands

after all these years of using photoshop I actually know very few keyboard commands, just never felt the need to get into using them before. And since I was primarily dabbling, or cleaning up scanned images which didn't take too much effort, I was getting by just fine. But now that I find myself really working with it on a daily basis, I've started becoming familiar with shortcuts.

And of course, i've been learning them as I go, mostly by either remembering to pay attention when i use the mouse to choose something and looking to see what the keystroke is, or someone surprises me during a tutorial or a WIP discussion From what I've seen from other reactions, it appears a lot of people learn similar to the way I do, haphazardly.

So to make things a tad easier, I found a way to get CS3 to export the keyboard command list. It's actually easy to do, I'd just never thought of it before. I don't know if earlier versions will do this, and cs3 and up, at least, are customizeable, so if you've played around with yours, this list may not be useful - but you can generate your own listing by going into Edit> Keyboard Shortcuts and use the Summarize button.

From what I recall, it looks like most of the default commands would be useful for ps7 at least, so I'm tossing my list up on the web to make it easy for people to skim through if they don't feel like going through the effort of making their own

Thanks to toff and Steel General for this idea

Photoshop Default Keyboard Commands (clicky)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Here's a URL for a site that has nicely compiled .PDFs of the key-board commands for most of the versions of Photoshop.

In fact it may be the same as Cmax's link, just nicely formatted.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Excellent find!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Remember that you can map any command, or series of commands, to an action, and map that action to a function key. If you use a 1px Gaussain Blur all the time, stick that bad boy on a key, and stop clicking through the menu/dialog!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The most useful one that I use all the time is [ and ] to change the size of a brush. I couldn't work without it now.

Thanks SG and Cootemax for this, lots more useful commands there. I think it's great for people to post the ones they use the most as 3 pages of key commands is a lot for people to wade through to find the gem they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    most useful one that I use all the time is [ and ] to change the size of a brush
    HAH! I didn't know that one. Cheers! ... I've been right-clicking the canvas to get the brush popout.

I ought to look at that 3-page list.