Thread: WIP - World Map -untitled-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - World Map -untitled-

Hey Guys,

here is my first try of making a map for our D&D Campaign Setting.
    I´m very happy about your help or suggestions for getting the map better.
    Some nice suggestions about the rivers were already given bei Korash in my "Introduction" Thread. So I´m looking forward to your ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topographischekartevers.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	17097  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a little small to see some of the details, but it looks pretty nice. Try loading up a larger/higher rez version.

I'll hold off on any more in-depth C&C until then.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

nice to see the WIP thread Adanvo In partial answer to the question about the deltas that want to the south, is that having a scale would go a long way to difining the deltas. deltas usually (iirc - and ppl should correct me if I am wrong) develop in areas that are generally low lying and flat, and where the water is moving relatively slowly. Or at least slow enough to be depositing silt from further up river instead of bringing out to the ocean or seas. The build up of silt then creates points that will start to divert the water, and over time the water finds many different ways to the ocean.

To get a better idea of deltas, look for satellite shots of the Nile delta, or Louisiana.

As an aside, you should use the attachment feature (the little paper clip) of the posting window to attach your maps. this will put a thumbnail in the post and clicking on that will allow people to see a larger copy of it. If this is the actual size, I would think about scaling it up at least 2x so people could see some more detail.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

So here is a bigger version of the map online and also as an attachment.
    Thank you for your comments so far!

Name:	KarteVers1a_klein copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	17122  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The rivers at the bottom of the 2 continents are backwards. Put the little branches in the mountains and the main trunk on the coast.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The coast lines seem very smooth, though it appears that may be a result of the 'continental shelf' and the actual edge of the landmass being to "soft".

Or, I might just be seeing things that aren't there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for your ideas. I think i will work on the rivers at first.
    I think the problem with the smooth costline ist related with the missing mode of "hard mix" in my current Photoshop edition (can´t use my CS3 because of PC problems). So i tried something different at the building of the base-layer. But i think i have a solution for this now.

Wip

Okay, i tried to "unsmooth" the coastline a bit, playing with color levels of the base layer and the shelf and land settings. But i think there is stil more work to do on this problem. The rivers aren´t in for now, the work on this will take a bit longer.

Hmm after loading the map up, i reailized that the hill are totaly pixeld now, i don´t know yet were the problem is, because i actually don´t changed a thing on them. So i will have to find out.

Name:	KarteVers2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	17239  
    Last edited by Adanvo; 09-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hills look fine to me. It's a function of putting the bevel on the noise + clouds and then deleting the dark areas leaving holes and this, then, makes good hills. To me, it's the mountains that are lacking...at least in this style. For what it's worth, I'd redo the mountains and then make sure that the hills are on a layer below the mountains...possibly turn down the opacity of the layer if you want.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

So here is the next trie, this time i changed the rivers and build the mountain lakes. I think now the rivers are more "real" and the Delta in the southeast ist better.
    The next step will be the rebuilding of the mountains.
    I´m very happy about your commentary and helping so far!

Name:	KarteVers3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	17305