Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Land / Sea Fill Textures

Info Land / Sea Fill Textures

Post your favourite textures in this thread.

There are texture creation programmes on the net. Here is a selection

MapZone: Free, quite complex to get to grips with but very powerful. (as at 2009)
    Genetica: $150 for the basic version, but there is a free viewer you can download with some very nice presets. (as at 2009)
    Texture maker: 30 day free evaluation, great interface costs 30 euros for the basic version. (as at 2009)
    Filter Forge: Basic $149, Standard $249, Professional $399, Professional by subscription $29 per quarter. (as at July 2014)

Here are a few more of my making:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foryondy grasslands2.jpg 
Views:	3966 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foryondy grasslands4.jpg 
Views:	2929 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goodlands open forest.jpg 
Views:	3777 
Size:	907.4 KB 
ID:	566  

Wip [CC3] Some Sample Forests

Based on a discussion we had in Midgardsormr's CC3 Continental Map: The Northlands thread I've been looking for an alternative to symbol-based forests in CC3 maps and here are some of the things I came up with today. This was done on a 1000 x 800 CC2 Pro Overland style template in CC3.

As always, your thoughts, criticisms and suggestions are welcome!

Name:	forests02.PNG 
Views:	1395 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	894  
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 09-18-2007 at 08:12 AM.

What a superb idea. Are all the bmp fills native to CC3 or did you use your own? If the latter, it would be fantastic if you could post a square version of the tiled fill patterns you've used so others could use them too, although of course that's entirely your call.

So far as the elements themselves are concerned, each would of course be fine in its own context.

Jaedaph, after the replies have died down, would you mind if I moved this thread to the 'Mapping Elements' in the Resources section, so it doesn't get 'lost' in the WIP section?

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    What a superb idea. Are all the bmp fills native to CC3 or did you use your own? If the latter, it would be fantastic if you could post a square version of the tiled fill patterns you've used so others could use them too, although of course that's entirely your call.
    Thanks! I reposted the file with numbers for easier identification. 1 thru 6 can be done entirely with CC3 out of the box. 7 and 8 I made from bitmaps I found on the net. In fact, I want to experiment more with other bitmaps I've found and I'll post the results here.

What I could do when this winds down is post a zip file containing a CC3 FCW file with all of these as "samples" and pre-set sheet effects so people can pick them apart to see how they were done. It would also include any extra bitmaps I've found (if copyright and distribution rules allow it, of course). Any of the CC3 ones won't need the bitmaps included because they are built into CC3 already. I could do squares but I think the sheet effects will look cooler when turned on if I do fractalized polys. As long as the new bitmaps end up in the proper relative folder structure in CC3, you should be able to insert the FCW in a map as a part (and then undo) and have access to all the fill styles I've created in the new map. I'll include an instructions txt file for all that too.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Jaedaph, after the replies have died down, would you mind if I moved this thread to the 'Mapping Elements' in the Resources section, so it doesn't get 'lost' in the WIP section?
    No problem. Let's see where this leads.

Edit: And I need to get better at picking which subforum things should go in around here.
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 09-18-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Good Idea, and you deserve some rep for that idea!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hey, great thread. Just FYI, I moved it to the "Mapping Elements" area, which seems a more appropriate spot. Keep going with this idea--it's a good one!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks for moving this to the right place and for all the rep.

I'm still working away on this, but real life got in the way yesterday and today. I should have a nice zip file forest pack by the end of the weekend though. If folks like this, I may do some other sample packs, like for waterways (oceans, lakes, rivers etc.) and land masses.

I'd certainly be happy to see such a thing!

For sake of conserving file space, I'll not repost it, but on the aforementioned Northlands thread, there is a line drawing of a tree that someone some day might find useful. It's a png with a resolution of 600 x 600. All the white is transparent.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

In reference to jaerdaph's recommendation of http://www.noctua-graphics.de/english/fraset_e.htm , I found a very nice foresty-type texture--take a look at Synthetic 08. For your convenience, I have converted it to png format.

Name:	green.png 
Views:	4624 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	918  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast