Thread: American Society of Illustrators Exhibition

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post American Society of Illustrators Exhibition

So it was free museum day yesterday in NYC and I went down to the Amercian Society of Illustrators that had a retrospective of the last couple of years in fantasy art. It was really good. Lots of interesting stuff by big names (Todd Lockwood, DiTerlizzi, Andrew Jones). Quite a heavy Massive Black presence, but lots of more traditional illustrators as well. It was great to see a lot of these pieces (many will be familiar) at the size they were intended. It was also interesting to see the proportion of these that were created in traditional media. It also convinced me that digital prints on canvas look realy really good.

So if you are in NYC or passing through then I'd check out:

The Society of Illustrators at 128 East 63rd Street (between Park and Lexington Avenues)
    New York, NY 10065

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    So it was free museum day yesterday in NYC and I went down to the Amercian Society of Illustrators that had a retrospective of the last couple of years in fantasy art. It was really good. Lots of interesting stuff by big names (Todd Lockwood, DiTerlizzi, Andrew Jones). Quite a heavy Massive Black presence, but lots of more traditional illustrators as well. It was great to see a lot of these pieces (many will be familiar) at the size they were intended. It was also interesting to see the proportion of these that were created in traditional media. It also convinced me that digital prints on canvas look realy really good.

So if you are in NYC or passing through then I'd check out:

The Society of Illustrators at 128 East 63rd Street (between Park and Lexington Avenues)
    New York, NY 10065
    God don't I WISH!!

Post Its called Giclee

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    It also convinced me that digital prints on canvas look realy really good.
    Its called Giclee, but its just digital printing to canvas, which my printer has the capability, and I have at least 24" wide canvas media...

No don't live in NY, though I do live 90 miles from Chicago, when I want the museum urge fulfilled I go there - nice to have a free museum day, though.

I've also been printing to 230 gram fine artist's paper on my large format inkjet printer - been doing lots of art prints for local water color artists lately. I can print to over 200 different kinds of media, just thought I'd mention that.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Over here Giclee seems to mean any kind of inkjet although I see a lot done on canvas, I see other stuff called giclee where its printed on art board. As far as I can tell all that differentiates it from normal printing here is that normal is deemed to be CMYK + hlaftone and giclee is multi color inks like hexachrome with error diffusion dithering. Do you think it has to be on canvas to be a giclee print ? It seems to me to be just marketing blurb but I am not an expert in this area so Im all ears.

Post Giclee is French

Since Giclee is French, I'm sure it just means inkjet on canvas, as far as I can tell, it is indeed just a marketing blurb, but since it does look nice, its a way to bring the price higher for others. Me, I just charge the difference of printing to canvas media, versus paper.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Its called Giclee, but its just digital printing to canvas, which my printer has the capability, and I have at least 24" wide canvas media...

No don't live in NY, though I do live 90 miles from Chicago, when I want the museum urge fulfilled I go there - nice to have a free museum day, though.

I've also been printing to 230 gram fine artist's paper on my large format inkjet printer - been doing lots of art prints for local water color artists lately. I can print to over 200 different kinds of media, just thought I'd mention that.

GP
    God, don't I WISH!!!