Thread: My First Regional.

Wip My First Regional.

So, as I said before I was to post my WIP thread soon. I am usingThis Tutorial here.

Here is the base I began my work with.

After I finally figured out the coastline part, I just dulled down the blur he told me to use in the tutorial and it fit better, giving me a more solid look that I could be okay with. I followed all the steps and then experimented with the Smudge tool. This is my sea mass as of now.

So, I am off to attempt the landmass part now, wish me luck and please give feed back on my progress.
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say that it looks pretty nice. Just keep going.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Looking good!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...

When I first tried using that tutorial with GIMP it took me several tries to get the various steps to look correct.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Another thing: don't always trust the techniques RobA put in that tutorial to deliver exactly what you're looking for. Experiment.

Okay, after some sleep, food, and a DnD Session.

I am back, and I put some more work into the map.

First off is my land and sea before I hit the bumping section, basically before texture hit the land.

At this point I was VERY happy with the way the water looked, and I was ready to move on, following along I added in the texture, this is where my big =D turned into a D=.

Although the shore still looked good, the water seemed rather deep to be right off the coast of an island, in my opinion so. I saved and had some fun with new layers, noise, and the smudge tool.

And bam, problem solved. As stated before, not all of his methods will get me where I want, but they are however teaching me what I need to do to get there. Slowly but surely I am learning.
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Very nice! And you're right, sometimes you just need to step back and take a break. Glad to see it moving along!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Another update, and then I am off to lay down, (If I do not get back to sleep, I am gona be dead come 7 pm when I have to work.)

I went through with the dirt, added my wastelands and barrens, and some desert all on the northern side, also had some more fun with the burn tool, and the smudge tool.

Next up is my mountain range, and it looks like quite the task from what I skimmed through, I am sure once I give it a few tries and several hundred undo's I will be alright.

Definitely coming along nicely. Can't really add anything helpful at this stage either, you're doing allright

My finished maps