Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Campaign Map - Esteria

Blog Entries

Post RPG Campaign Map - Esteria

(edit)The name of this map was changed during editing to "Esteria". I am updating the map to the final revision so I can link to it. Ron an I spent a couple of hours in the cigar bar one Wednesday afternoon making name changes all through the map. If a moderator sees this, I would appreciate a name change in the title(/edit)

This is a Pathfinder campaign map created for a friend of mine, Ron, who will be launching his first campaign in about fifteen years in a month or two. I am lucky enough to play with a group of old-school D&D players with a great many talented game masters among them.

I am working on one other campaign map, Laramis, which I will also post here when it is complete.

Eldimar is a world in decline. The northern reaches of the continent were once a great empire, but that has long since balkanized, with much of it now covered by vast swathes of mature forest.

The interesting features of the continent are the great elven forest in the east, cut off from the ocean by a series of mountain ranges, and the massive range of mountains in the west, cutting off the western coast entirely from the rest of the land mass. Even the sea route is too hazardous for any but the bravest and hardiest souls, with the shoals menacing the hulls of ships that attempt to sail through.

The genesis of the map was a hand drawing, created by my friend Ron, with only the most rudimentary of details. To this kernal I applied Ascension's atlas methodology as described in one of his tutorials. There were many and significant departures from his method, so any unfavorable aspects are mine, not his.

Gold was the theme of the labels, rose and scale. The primary label text was Gabrielle. The compass is a many-layer contraption. I liked how it turned out, even if it does look a bit like a deathrace hubcap. The scale was also custom designed for this project. City, town and village markers were Photoshop brushes that I made for this.

The relative simplicity of the map itself (hopefully) lets me get away with the fancy shmancy frame.

Thanks to Alfar, NeonKnight, Steel General, Coyotemax, Ramah, Ascension, vhailor27, LonewandererD, and Gidde for their support, encouragement and criticism. Ramah, you probably don't know it, but your Vaniya was the map that set the hook the first day that I arrived at this site. I still pull it up and drink it in now and then. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Esteria.jpg 
Views:	1153 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	18236
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-31-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Updating Map

I can't count the number of times I've felt stunned at the beautiful maps that come of this place. Good one here too. Repped and rated.

It looks great Immolate. The frame is beautiful, though a bit overwhelming.
    Really nice work, but we have come to expect that from you
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

one word: niiiiiiiiiiice

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wonderful job, love the Death Race Hubcap-Compass!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Wonderful map Immolate. I still say it has the best mountains I have seen on a map spawned from Ascension's tut. It has really strong, bold colours that just work great.
    And I'm glad that my map helped inspire you to get stuck in here.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

This is very "Ascension", which of course is a very high compliment, around these parts.

Great job on hitting that style and making a very fine-looking pro-grade map.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Member

May I use this map for a forum game of mine?

Blog Entries

Lwaxana: as in the other thread, you are welcome to use this map for you own, non-commerical use. There is also a map from the January challenge that zooms in on the western empire that you may want to use if you decide to use this one. It will be in the link that I'm going to put in my sig as soon as I create one, but it's on this site already (somewhere).

Blog Entries

There's the link

V
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast