Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** Sep/Oct lite challenge - Wild ***

Post *** Sep/Oct lite challenge - Wild ***

And another Lite Challenge! This month we are going to do a theme suggested by Avulsion: WILD.

The beauty of a themed challenge is that about anything goes. We are not looking for specific maps, just maps that fit in well with the "Wild" theme. Some suggestions made by Avulsion (I am not lazy. No really, these are great suggestions already!):

Region maps
    Unexplored wildlands
    Uninhabited or primitively settled island archipelago
    Barbarian or Animal territories
    Treasure map in uncharted/strange area
    Newly settled alien planet

City maps
    Wild West cowboy town
    Space station overrun by wild aliens
    Elven tree village
    Desert oasis

Structure maps
    Tribal tent
    Lost shrine/ruins
    Wilderness battlemap
    Abandoned starship

Just remember that anything goes, as long as there's a strong link with the theme.

Please title your entry with the name of your map. Eg: Sep/Oct Lite Entry - The Wild Wild West

The contest will end on or about 25th October. We would like a large turnout, so join in on the fun.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great challenge! Posting up the WIP thread shortly, as for the first time I actually instantly had an idea for this one.

Oh well, i was gonna start a map anyway, i guess i can make something for the challenge...

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Okay, maybe i will try to do something...so the updates of my campaign map have to wait a bit

I can't jump into this Challenge. September's Challenge sapped my resources too the core! Now I have to get back to real work.

But I have a great idea!

I wrote a D&D horror adventure proposal long ago in which a coven of night hags take over the monolithic, abandoned, but still living body of the former God of Dreams, which has floated lost the Astral Plane for eons. The hags move into the body's head and manipulate the body's nascent divine power to tap into dream channels between the Plane of Dreams and the Material Plane, turning all humanity's dreams into nightmares and using the lost god's body's divine creation powers to make those nightmares real. While the hag's leaders manipulate the dream channels, other hags travel to the material plane, harvest the souls driven to evil acts by their increasingly nightmarish lives, return to the god's body and store the souls in the god's internal flesh. This corrupt infestation cause the divinely morphic body to distort itself into something out of a nightmare.

To stop the hags from dream-haunting the entire world, the heroes travel the Astral Plane, invade the colossal body (now twisted to resemble a distorted night hag) through its repertory or circulatory systems, survive journeying through the interior nightmarish landscape through swarms of vampiric blood vessels and intestinal walls that sprout eyes, hands, and leering, fanged mouths (think Fantastic Voyage meets Hellraiser, but more gruesome), and finally battle the coven to wrest the divine body from their clutches.

I still hope to sell that proposal to someone someday. I've got a couple target publishers in mind (so anything interesting I say is copyrighted, yada, yada, yada . . .) But just imagine! What a WILD map the interior of an abandoned but living god's horror distorted body would be! And nothing helps sell an adventure proposal better than when you can accompany it with jaw-dropping art!
    Last edited by Ashenvale; 09-28-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ooh, that would be interesting. I hope someone snatches that up, I'd like to see it.

Awesome! Thanks for using my idea. I will take my time with this challenge (instead of the 2-day blunder I did on the last challenge... hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Avulsion View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for using my idea.
    Thanks for the idea! It immediately clicked with us community leaders.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

You should create a thread and start the challenge. You cant post your entries here.

(Edit by Gandwarf: RedRobes was referring to a post that I have now moved to a thread of its own - don't post your work in this thread!)
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

And I had such a cool idea for this one too, but since I can't enter now, maybe someone else could use this concept... Once again, here's me thinking outside the box and coming up with a different kind of interpretation

I was thinking back to some of the wild parties that took place when I was in university residence.. and it occured to me it would be fun to make a dungeon style map of an orc barracks or something similar, showing the aftermath of one of their wild parties

I may still do this at some point, just for fun.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast