Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *** September 09 Challenge Voting - Passage of Time ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post *** September 09 Challenge Voting - Passage of Time ***

VOTE FOR THREE (3)

current entry maps: September 09

Recap of this months rules: Rules

Please give some Reputation to those that you vote for. I'm sure that they'll appreciate it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Oh dear. I've been dreading this for weeks. At least we get to vote for three.

Blog Entries

I voted for SG because I was enchanted by the presentation of the volcanoes and felt the piece closely adhered to the theme of the challenge.

Coyotemax combined two central "Passage of Time" ideas into a single piece, with both "before and after" combined with "follow the heroes". Clever enough, but the maps were well-executed and entertaining to read. I love art that seeks to make an impression on the viewers through common experience and values. Besides... octoclops!

Ashenvale did two things. First, he presented a piece that was unique in many ways, from the 3/4 perspective to the Monet-like quality of the colors and lighting. Second, he listened to everyone that commented without being defensive, and he spent a lot of time and effort trying to help others improve their own work. I was impressed by both aspects and would have given him my vote if I only had one to give.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That ... was hard.

I ended up voting for:

Coyotemax, because the map is both well crafted and clever, and because I just laughed out loud and had to read some comments to my hubby while I was looking over thumbnails.

Tear, for all of the little details that went into the different styles (I especially like that the city names evolved as they actually do).

And Toff. The colors are fantastic, the insets are really well done. I'm glad you got to finish!

I wish I had more votes. All of the entries were really voteworthy.

WHY? WHY DO WE TORTURE OURSELVES LIKE THIS?
    This vote was too bloody hard.

I had to go with:
    - Ascension, because Eddings was my first fantasy love (well after Tolkien that is) and his map looks epic.
    - Ashenvale, because his map looks magical. It has a style I don't see a lot (Tear comes to mind here).
    - Töff, because the map looks awesome and I appreciate the fact he was using a real town.

As I said, it was just too hard... I wanted to vote for all the others as well (the ones not dropped out). Especially Tear, CoyoteMax, Immolate and Steel General. But then there is Sapiento and Jerriecan... and AARGH.

Don't make this so hard next time, please...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I voted for...

Myself (because it seems a bit naff to not back yourself at least a little...)

Ashenvale because I liked the whole "old fantasy game" kind of feel his map gave me. I felt like I was about to commence an adventure in the "village of blah" which would lead to some massively epic demon/god-killing D&D super-campaign...

CoyoteMax because again, he sparked my inner D&D geek. The whole "new map/old map" thing was a nice amusing twist... and the notes were not bad.

I see at least half a dozen maps in this contest that would be worthy featured maps, by the way...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I was going to launch into a description about why I voted for the ones I did, but I decided not to.

if there were any constructive comments I could add, then I would, but really the only things I can say in that regard is "i wish the unfinished maps could have been finished" - ahwell.

All of the maps do a great job of addressing passage of time (and though Ashenvale kept pointing out that his didn't include actual time since it was a different locale, the perception of the adventurers would be passage of time, and that really kept it in in the running for me)

Well done to everyone, and I'm going to start repping the heck out of all the participants (at least the ones the board will let me, lol)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Well I voted, but it wasn't easy at all.

Thank the gods we had three votes so I feel less like I passed over good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Töff, because ... appreciate the fact he was using a real town.
    I don't know if this is good or bad, but ...

The site is real. The River Great Ouse is real, and its course is accurate (you'll recognize it on Google Earth near the town of Beachampton). England, of course, is real, as is Northampton 10 miles to the north. Even the woad that grows in the area is real.

Woadsbury, however, is fictional -- a product of the imaginations of our writers group.

Ugh, sorry. I hope you don't regret your vote for me. If you have to take it back, I understand. Thanks either way, though

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast