Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Map beginning

I like the darkening of the woods; they stand out better and overall appearance is enhanced. I don't care for the change to the lake. The waves just seem out of scale, when I look at the mountains, and they rather obviously ignore the island in the middle of the lake. If you don't want a flat color, then I'd recommend darkening the deeper water. That adds informational content as well as artistic content.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Definitely coming along... couple of things that 'jumped out at me';

1) The forests look more like rough terrain
    2) I think I would either shrink or drop the 'wispy' effect on the lake.
    3) I really like what you have for the mountains so far - looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm really eager to see this pretty picture get some map labels on it! Somehow mountains are more massive when I know the name of the range.

Hey, you need a scale, too.

Thanks guys this helps alot.

The forest was actualy a texture for lichen I was using. It had green scrably with intermiten browns thought it was kinda like looking through trees. I'll work on it try to get it to look more like a forest.

The lake thing I'll drop, I wasn't too sure about it when I posted so hearing your thoughts confirm needing to do somthing else. I'll try the darkining thing.

Thinking that I will take the lake shape layer and dup it a couple times and play with it that way.

Ok hours of trial and error and chasing kids who get into my mini paints (silver of all things). And I have something. Took the whisps out completely (thinking of redoing the water layers entirely to get more depth variance). The forset was changed to a texture of plants duped then another layer was made out of a texture that resembled braches And then that was duped. Layers work as following from bottom up:

Normal leafy
    Multiply Leafy 75% OP
    Lighten Twigy 17% OP
    Hard Light Twigy 47% OP

In addition to all this added some layers for different lands above and below the forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test6.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	799.5 KB 
ID:	17275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test7.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	729.9 KB 
ID:	17276  

Ok so whent ahead and did some more work. The big thing is now I need to decide on a city marking style. I narrowed it down to 3 choices, and now I need your imput onto which one to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test8.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	732.2 KB 
ID:	17327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test9.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	17328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test10.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	731.9 KB 
ID:	17329  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

To be brutally honest, I think you should go with simple dots. The ones in the first almost get lost and are repetitive, shields look great but are usually used for nations/kingdoms rather than to denote cities and towns, and the ones in the third look overdone (the blue ones look like water wells). I can understand the desire to want something really cool, I am guilty myself from time to time, but sometimes simple is good. This is just my opinion. Of these three, I would do something a lil different (simpler but still 3d-like) with the third and go that way but not sure exactly what I would do...maybe just a beveled dot with a beveled ring, shrug. Keep the shields for kingdoms, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, I'll give that a try. The shield idea came from the way the kingdom is broken up. It follows a somewhat fudal system with the Emporer doling out lands to "Princes" and down the line (I.E. the shields would be the prince's crest. Excluding the sun being for the emporer.) Any who, Know any good tuts for doing scales?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Reptile scales, weighing scales, musical scales, or distance scales?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

LOL sorry mapping scales

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast