Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw SVG

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    (seriously though - any language with line length restrictions due to the size of punchcards should be dead and buried. Why oh why it still exists in physics is beyond me)
    Fortran 77 use in physics persists as a constant reminder that the real world has uncomfortable spots that your theories will need to take into account. In short, it's good practice, if a bit inconvenient.

!@#(*&. I keep forgetting my smilies!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, it's true enough. The codes are large and complex and updating them is a pain. I don't know of any physicist who wants to sit down and rewrite old code about complex calculations with the result that they get.... the same result at the end of the day. We'd all prefer to work on new shiny problems that get us papers. And so most code has some fortran77 wrapped up in it somewhere - usually a two loop higgs calculation. Perhaps f77 is character building?

I'm not sure how much time is wasted by postdocs and grad students hunting down the compile errors that result in new compilers doing horrible things to fortran77, or just not working at all. I can't help but think it might be a good use of research money to employ a couple of programmers full time to sit down and rewrite a lot of severely deprecated code and bring it up to date...

Anyway, enough derailing. I'm interested to see how the text based editing of svg comes along. Any new examples to show?

I'm on chapter 5 of svg spec and just getting to the interesting stuff. I made my avatar for this site, and I've been playing around with various effects in GIMP to produce other avatars.

My current svg project is to produce a working copy of my Glyphica Arcana translation of the Tolkien's "One Ring" completely in svg. (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.) Here's the edition produced using php's internal graphics editor:

I know I can do better in svg.

Most of my free time today has gone to working on this (still incomplete) logo for my wiki.

I'm having a lot of fun using layers and masks and I'm very grateful for the tutorials on this site that pointed me in the right direction. (I've snaffled some pixels from a couple of avatar from this site, if anyone objects let me know and I'll remove them.)

Plus I haven't forgotten the Relleker region map I'm trying to get done.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You're welcome to mine. Looking good.

I reached the gradient instructions and was amazed at flexible they are. Font placement, unfortunately, is as much of a pain as any point and click program. I'm going to have to back over that and see if I overlooked something to make centering &tc. easier.

Anyway, this image was created in raw svg before being converted to png:

The svg file is at http://www.monticello21st.com/gifs/PgHdGlyphica.svg but requires the Dauphin font on your machine to come out right. There's a color shift in the conversion I wish I could account for, but it isn't bad.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12