Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test Dungeon with Torstans Tiles.

Blog Entries

Oh I hope I kicked off a new wave of torstan tiled maps.

Maxboy that map looks great. I see that you have sprayed some light gray into the solid parts of the map which makes me feel a bit justified in trying that one. I think it works well. I was looking to see whether you used on the grid or by the grid walls but I cant make it out cos some are more on and some are less on so I take it that you did not have a snap to grid thing on when you made it. Also you must have scaled up or down some of the icons too cos the pit looks great and the 45deg walls too. I liked the use of the spiral stairs and in your map I see how that one with the wall across it works as I didn't quite get what that was all about from looking at the tile in isolation.

Thanks for the gradient Rob, I used a normal torstan one on the initial map on the right and scaled one up double size for the one next to my pit. I thought that the wall there is trapped and the floor would suddenly drop into a sliding chute down to the pit edge

I know we don't have too many ViewingDale mappers here but I wondered if anyone else was going to use it to make a similar map. I should add that when I am making the map I put a few loose icons on the map and clone them off as I need them or I can steal a clone of any bit that already been placed so it is pretty quick stuff. These tiles do make a dungeon build quite rapid !

Blog Entries

Hang on a mo... where did those round alcoves come from ??? I think were missing some tiles

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You're not. I believe that some warping has gone on.

I didn't do round alcoves because you need one tile for every radius of curve - which is a lot.

I'm certainly interested in the way these are being used.

Blog Entries

Ahh, been checking real thoroughly and I can see that I/we are missing some. The hex alcoves weren't in the zip and I can see that a bit of warping on them made the round alcoves. Whats interesting is that unless there's more not on this site then some of the straight walls in maxboys map are from bits of those hex alcoves too which is odd (I see the diag wall tiles now doh !). So his map has really helped out a lot in showing up those missing images.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-01-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Um, hex alcoves?

The newest version is always available on the site.

Yeah, the first map was basically the first time i have put together a map with the tiles, so i wasn't really worried about getting it exactly right

I needed some alcoves for monsters to jump out of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alcoves.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	17289  

Yeah, yeah, I can take a hint about Viewingdale users, Redrobes.

I got some ideas when I was helping to convert these tiles - I'll get around to trying out some of this excellent material sooner or later, I'm just up to my eyes in other Drawing stuff, Gaming stuff and RL stuff just now.

I wanted to try these tiles to make my Ice Tower, but it would mean a complete redraw and they're not quite 'white' enough. I'm still arguing with myself about how important the colour is and whether I can work a 'fix'.

Statues would be good, Torstan, especially gargoyles.

Those circles look great, Maxboy, how did you do that? Can I do it in Gimp? Got a tut?
    If I'm gonna do that castle, I need some 30ft round towers, and the ability to morph straight walls to reimport into Viewingdale would be great!
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Colour should be easy to fix, if you want ice. Just desaturate them, then give them a bluish tint, i would think

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Those alcoves are great. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Yeah, yeah, I can take a hint about Viewingdale users, Redrobes.
    LOL, its not just you. I had a few people asking for me to fix up the set into an easy download and the moment I posted it, everything went quiet... I am sure they are being used tho. I'll have to do a second wrap up and also add more icon files to cover different orientations and some groupings as well.

I think an ice tower might be a little tricky with these tiles... But I'm going to be working on an ice setting very soon (see what I did there ) so you never know your luck. Equally, Coyote's idea is worth a try, but I think they'll look a little strange.

Those alcoves are great. I'd certainly be interested in knowing how you made those.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast