Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

Post Hi there!

Hi people. I've been watching this forum for some months now and gratz to the people here for having a great community going on. I'm building my own D&D campaigns and -of course- need maps ... Working an a google maps version of my new world and hope to post some link soon. As for now I'm learning to draw detailled maps based on generated terrains. I took a first shot using Pasis' tutorial (awesome, can't really go wrong . thanks and cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	17228  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Nice map you have there...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the CG, the BEST place for mapping on the web.

Very nice map, even rep worthy, in a first post. We like that around here.

Time to put my deputy hat on though. There are a few rules that rivers follow (baring exceptions - magic, Gods, and other freks of nature) on their way to the oceans. The main one that ppl have problems with, until pointed out, is that very rarely do they split on the way down hill. They may join up, and often do, with others, but almost never split. They do sometimes wrap aound a few islands or so, but the only times that nature will allow it is in deltas.

There are posibly two areas that I spoted on your map where the rivers are in "trouble", and they are: the river to the north of the central sea = can be forgiven as it looks like it might actually be a delta: and the river system to the south east = ju
    Last edited by Korash; 09-30-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Indeed, I rep that first map.

Welcome... really nice work. But of course Pasis' tutorial rocks!

Are you Dutch by any chance?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Post Thanks guys

Thanks for the welcome, instant rep and feedback on the map! I'm relatively new to mapmaking and need to learn more about geology and rivers and stuff indeed. And Gandwarf, aye I'm Dutch... cheers

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

ARRRGH!!!

I HATE the way work deals with access to the internet

I had a long post back there describing what I found wrong with the rivers in a couple of places. Then went back to say that my connection at work was blocking the rep pop-up and and now I find that at least HALF of the original post I made was cut off (all that remains is what I saw in the edit window) when they cut the access after the lunch hour.

Anyhoot...back at home and now can rep the map
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Post Several river violations

While the overall map looks nice, I see what Karro was pointing out. You've got a couple of serious river violations.

That southernmost river splits and goes to the sea in two different directions. This would never happen, once the river finds the sea, only that channel goes there.

While deltas are different, I'm looking at the river at the west central coast that has a river delta. I can't tell if the forest is in steeper terrain, but rivers must travel long hitting extensive flatlands before it begins to meander, heavy with silt to help form a delta. I can't really tell the scale in this map to know how close that river's mouth is from the mountains behind it.

Otherwise the map looks well represented. We've had extensive discussions earlier this month concerning rivers and possible anamolies. You should read this read to learn more... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

Welcome to the Guild!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Praise Great Map

Wow awsome job on your map I like the layout allot your friends should be very happy. Looks like gold compared to my WIP. I realy like the water and the mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast