Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Caverns of the Deepening Doom

Post The Caverns of the Deepening Doom

I give you: The Caverns of the Deepening Doom

This is a map I kinda doodled together. I was really just working on a crosshatch fill pattern to use and it lead to actually putting a map together for it.

I had fun coming up with names in the map key, I hope they let peoples imaginations run wild. Feel free to interpret them as you will and use this in your game of choice.

Though it is very usable right now, it is still a WIP, I want to put details in some of the rooms that call for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caverns.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	566.3 KB 
ID:	17233  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

It's pretty!

Have you thought about a depth indicator?

I was considering a starmap that uses colors as the Z dimension. It might work for you here. Color works well as elevations on surface terrain maps, like in wargames.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice! I especially like the background.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great, though I have to say that I am allergic to that particular font!

It's a great and simple style. I may just have to steal that idea...

toff - thanks! I was going for a mix of hand drawn and archaic style with functional. If I could figure out a depth cueing device that would mix well with this I think it would be great. I tend to see things in 3D space when I am imagining them so it would be really good to come up with a method to show depth well without it overwelming the look of the piece.

Steel General - Thank you! The parchment texure is a piece I just googled for and did some overlaying on it to lighten it up some where the actual caverns are.

torstan - Glad you like it. I will try to find more hypoallergenic fonts, but this one worked for me. hehe.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Not just me:

http://www.papyruswatch.com/

I love your water. What brush did you use for that? It looks almost like watercolour.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

But, but, but...I like the Papyrus font!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If churches are finally using Papyrus, then they're probably just getting to the point where they use tentacles in all of their designs as well. Damned trend whores finally making their way to the backwoods of culture. I wonder how long it will take them to start putting vines and squiggly things on everything with retro grunge fonts.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

SG then the mouseover text on this will warm your heart - but believe me, now you've seen it here you're going to start seeing it everywhere....

http://www.xkcd.com/590/

Very nice and simple map. It reminds me of Phineas Crow's maps that he used to post on ENWorld. Hope you do more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast