Thread: WIP - Developing a Mapping Style w/ GIMP

Post WIP - Developing a Mapping Style w/ GIMP

Okay, most of this is my own tinkering to see what sort of style I want to finally end up with. I have made map-markers of my own (now I know how to make a brush) and some other techniques and tricks from the How-To/Tutorial section.

Critique, poke with sticks, etc, etc, etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	17244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	535.0 KB 
ID:	17245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	539.0 KB 
ID:	17246  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like it. I like the font in the first one best though.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I like it. I like the font in the first one best though.
    Really? Those S's are a little bit much for me. Same with the third. I say I'd prefer the font in the 2nd one.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

The third font is way overwhelming, gotta say I like the second best. Nice and legable with just a hint of a calligraphic style alongside, I think it's well suited to the style of your map. The first one's all right too, but the third one just takes too much for me to comfortably and easily read it, and well--assuming you're making maps for RPG or book settings, you do want them to be easily readable. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of size varience in your brush markers, but I do like the subtle coloring and gentle look of the map style.

I'll second (or third, or fourth or whatever) the support for the second font. The markers are nice, but maybe could do with a bit of anti-aliasing? Or maybe make them less pure black, not sure.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll jump in the pool w/the majority. The font in the second version works best for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Being the oddball that I seem to always be, I like the third...it has a real antique look although the genre for that style is suited more for a 1600-1700 colonial type map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension: Thanks. Think I'm getting closer and closer to that "Colonial Europe" feel. I'd like this to feel like it was the map made by a Ship's Cartographer and annotated personally, etc.

The three fonts are DukePlus (with the "f" s's), Benegraphic (curlback S) and Vinque (clear, blocky).

I think I will start looking for a more "copper plate" or a nice square shaped font. Probably for the "engraved plate print" style map variations.

The issues with the markings is probably that they were brushes originally drawn in 200px by 200px formats and then reduced heavily by using brush-size adjustments. Variation in size is easy enough but those Colonial Maps were actually scarily uniform... when you draw that many you get them similar in size I suppose.

Wip

Updated versions. More text, more icons, a little "classic heraldic dolphin" and a scale... etc, etc. Poke, prod, critique...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	17290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	714.7 KB 
ID:	17291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap - Colour3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	703.7 KB 
ID:	17292