Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxglove Manor

Map Foxglove Manor

Hey guys! Long time, no post.

I had to share this personal proof-of-concept project I just finished. The map is based a location in one of Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths (The Skinsaw Murders). The building is a run-down mansion overhanging a sea cliff.

To get these images, I first fleshed out the maps in Google Sketchup, stripped the Collada files out of Sketchup's KMZ exports, pulled them into Daz Studio, made some render images and then finally put them all together in Photoshop. Lots of experimenting and tweaking along the way. Once I figured out a good workflow, the process was pretty simple and the bulk of my time was spent in Sketchup. Now if I can just tackle the texturing...

-RLucci
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoxgloveManor.jpg 
Views:	1790 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	17252  

Wow. That's awesome. My players will be visiting Vorel and company very soon so I'm looking forward to your progress on this. Do you plan on destroying it a bit or are you planning to make it look as it did when built?
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool stuff, man. I had no idea you could jerry rig kmz over to daz. I wanna see those textures
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Me neither - how did you get such a beautiful ambient occlusion render in Daz (presumably Bryce rather than Studio)? I'd love to know the render settings that you used.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow, that looks very cool. How long does it take you to put together a model with that level of detail?

Thanks for the ego-boosters guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Do you plan on destroying it a bit or are you planning to make it look as it did when built?
    Sketchup doesn't do broken/destroyed very well. I tried with a previous project, but wasn't happy with the results. Besides this was more a test to see if I could get Sketchup and Daz Studio to place nice together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I had no idea you could jerry rig kmz over to daz.
    The KMZ file is really just a ZIP file with the extension changed (security through obscurity, I guess). Just rename the .KMZ to .ZIP and, boom, there's your .DAE collada file inside the zip file. Some tweaking is needed once you import the Collada file, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ...how did you get such a beautiful ambient occlusion render in Daz (presumably Bryce rather than Studio)? I'd love to know the render settings that you used.
    That was DAZ Studio (the free version, not Pro). The current version (v.3) includes a plug-in for ambient occlusion. It's buried, and not very intuitive when you do find it, but it's there (it's called "!UberEnvironment2 Base" in the "Lights" section of their "Built-in Content"). There's also a normal single distant light with a soft shadow that makes it look better.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    How long does it take you to put together a model with that level of detail?
    Umm... Let's see... 6-8 hours? I had made the fireplaces and doors in a previous project, so those were just dropped in (some squished a bit). The layout was easy - just copied from the adventure path. The real time consuming parts were the roofs, stairs, and those trusses (which I might have gooten carried away with a bit).

Guild Adept

That's cool. I think the stairs are extremely well done, so if you went overboard with them, it was to the greater effect.

Very nice, have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Excellent job. I just got a notice for a Sketchup update and it looks like Collada import./export is now supported. http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...?answer=115424

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast